ebay!

Guest BeTtYbUdDy16

Guest BeTtYbUdDy16

Ebay makes me so mad i needed a tweeter for my small advents right and i get out bid cause my pos computer is slow. Is there any where else that i can find small advent tweeters for cheep and just buy them? thanks

Hi there;

I have won a few ebay auctions.

Bidding technique is all important.

I have watched auctions, go crazy, because the wrong bidding technique was used.

I am a self-taught bidder.

Do I win much?

Once in a while.

I have received numerous off ebay emails asking for bidding and buying advice.

I have also been asked more than once, about a seller that I have done prior business with, as well.

I also, on occassion, volunteer my best advice to ebay sellers.

I've have only received one ebay sellers vengance, for trying to give correct AR advice.

He kept sending me rude and abusive emails, until I finally blocked him.

I could not repeat what was written, here, it was that bad.

Overall ebay is the most common and perhaps cheapest route to go when looking for your tweeters.

I have several sellers, that I have bought from repeatedly and without a single problem.

I wrote a lengthly write-up here, last Christmas season, my first and only nightmare buying story, it lasted for a few months.

The outcome of that one was, I was finally offerd a financial bribe, to go to ebay and reverse my negative feedback, and he and I would be friends forever.

I will not go into the details, but, I was short changed in goods and really, really short changed in communication.

He has continued to buy, and/or sell, I feel my feedback has given him a problem or two, that is worth not accepting his bribe.

My summary, look very closely at all the information that the seller provides on that ebay auction.

I would caution using any off ebay emails, which appear to offer something, that is not included, in the actual ebay listing.

By that I mean, winning the tweeter and being told off ebay, that the mounting hardware and gasket is included.

When the tweeter arrives, remember you won it at $.99, and paid $35.00 shipping and handling.

You open the carton and see the tweeter, that was just dropped into a box of peanuts and the dome is damaged.

No hardware is included in the box either.

You are gasping for air and email the seller, who says his helper did the packaging and doesn't work there anymore.

He writes that he will refund your full auction amount, $.99, but you need to return it to him again at your expense.

Oh yes, the hardware, I almost forget, if you include x number of dollars for the extra packaging, you will be sent the pieces along with your $.99 refund.

Ebay cannot fight for what was not in the ebay listing.

In fact I gave up on ebay in my defence and would not, in MHO, recommend any confidance in their helping anyone fight their way out of a paper bag, but that is my experience.

Check visual condition very, very closely.

Domes can be crushed and the screens pulled back out, I call these nipple tweeters.

Nippled tweeters in my opinion, should be looked at very suspiciously and if you are not sure, pass it by, or ask a question on CSP.

AR dome tweeters or Allison dome tweeters (without the screens) are often nippled and the seller claims there is no audible effect.

Watch out for the win at $.99, but pay $50.00 shipping and handling charge.

If you don't see it, you won't get it.

You may see it, but, it maybe excluded, in the write-up.

Two may be shown and the auction is for one only.

In advance of bidding, send your packaging request to the seller, if they accept, go ahead and bid, if they don't, move onto another auction.

I feel sorry for that, Korean buyer, who pays big bucks to find out that the tweeter that he bid on is dead (DOA) on arrival.

A word or two is all that may say it doesn't work, but, still what really looks good is all the history of AR is listed as well, as if telling you it has great history.

When I did do that write-up, there was a few members who commented, as I remember.

One said something to the effect, you lose, once you win, but you may even receive what you bought, in the condition you want and working even.

It's a toss of the coin sometimes.

I take and printout every auction that I win and recently I received two items that were not as photographed for ebay.

The seller said that they were, photos do not lie.

Without the photos, I would not have a had a leg to stand on, and as is, the seller was insisting that they were the only two he ever had.

The replacements are in the mail.

Or is that, "the cheque, is in the mail". lol

There is at least a few members here, that do have sales on the side, or a full or parttime hifi parts business.

Try placing an ad in our wanted forum.

Good luck with your search.

Guest BeTtYbUdDy16

Thats the pair i was bidding on any ways thanks for the help hopfully i can get them fixed it seems as though ive been waiting forever to get them fixed but never have the luck. I am going to place a wanted ad in the sales forum to see if i can snag one i dont need the pair just one. In addition if i do buy on ebay i will have to look more carefully before i purchase like you said alway beware of the seller and stuff. Thanks for the help i dont feel so bad now i just wanted to get them fixed really bad. I am going to get them fixed i dont care how long it takes me and after all its all about the music. Thanks jeff

Hi Jeff;

I did not clarify, that those two were from the larger Advent, I believe.

I do know that, The Larger Advent was 8 ohms, and, The Smaller Advent, was 4 ohms.

In theory, if you used a 8 ohm tweeter in the smaller system, it would be about 2 db lower in highs output, than the original one.

The opposite is true, if you used a Smaller Advent 4 ohm tweeter, in a Larger Advent speaker.

This is not exact, but I just used it, as an example.

Seller sometimes lie and say they can be used in both.

Or should I have really said, they are really stretching the truth, just a tad.

There is the red and green raised dome with screen version tweeters, I do not know the difference between them.

Guest One-Shot Scot

>Ebay makes me so mad i needed a tweeter for my small advents

>right and i get out bid cause my pos computer is slow. Is

>there any where else that i can find small advent tweeters for

>cheep and just buy them? thanks

Go back to eBay advanced search and enter this search information in all catagories:

advent + tweeter

As of today, there are currently both new and old Advent tweeters for sale and they both have over three days to go.

When you bid on the tweeters, enter your initial bid and then enter your maximum bid -- your maximum bid is the most you are willing to pay for the tweeter. You can raise or lower your maximum bid at any time, but your current winning bid cannot be undone. eBay will continue to bid on your behalf up to your maximum bid. This means that you will not need to hang around and monitor the bidding.

Of course Advent tweeter prices are all over the map on eBay. Recently, a pair of New Advent tweeters sold for $15.50 and a single New Advent tweeter sold for $20.50. In your desperate situation, you might consider bidding $30 for a single tweeter. This may or may not be cheap, depending upon your circumstances and disire to get our speaker fixed.

Guest One-Shot Scot

>I did not clarify, that those two were from the larger Advent,

>I believe.

>

>I do know that, The Larger Advent was 8 ohms, and, The Smaller

>Advent, was 4 ohms.

>

>In theory, if you used a 8 ohm tweeter in the smaller system,

>it would be about 2 db lower in highs output, than the

>original one.

>

>The opposite is true, if you used a Smaller Advent 4 ohm

>tweeter, in a Larger Advent speaker.

I have measured the resistance on at least 12 New Advent tweeters and they all measured between 2.3 ohms and 2.5 ohms.

Am I missing something here?

>>I did not clarify, that those two were from the larger

>Advent,

>>I believe.

>>

>>I do know that, The Larger Advent was 8 ohms, and, The

>Smaller

>>Advent, was 4 ohms.

>>

>>In theory, if you used a 8 ohm tweeter in the smaller

>system,

>>it would be about 2 db lower in highs output, than the

>>original one.

>>

>>The opposite is true, if you used a Smaller Advent 4 ohm

>>tweeter, in a Larger Advent speaker.

>

>

>I have measured the resistance on at least 12 New Advent

>tweeters and they all measured between 2.3 ohms and 2.5 ohms.

>

>Am I missing something here?

>

Hi there;

I would expect you to find those readings, for the classic, The Smaller Advent 4 ohm tweeter.

The tweeters manufactured since the classics, I cannot comment on.

I would also expect you to find in the neighbourhood of 5.75 ohms for the classic, The Larger Advent 8 ohm Tweeter.

As with a lot of brands since the classics, the speakers are now a, 6 ohm nominal rating, usually.

The readings for those drivers are different as well.

Guest retsoo

Ebay can be a real crap shoot, having bought and sold stuff for the last five years, I have found even the reputable sellers with good feedback can let you down. I bought 2 sets of surrounds from an Ebay seller recommended in this forum and after four weeks have nothing, including no replies to my emails.

Fred

Hi Fred;

Please post that name here, please.

Sometimes there is internet problems, particularly AOL and even directly through ebay, I have had that experience.

By posting here the seller may be better able to answer your concerns.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

This way we can be sure of whom is recommended and the level of satisfaction received.

Thank you again, Fred.

Before posting the seller, I would like to give him a few more days. I finally received a reply tonight, he seems honest and sincere so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. I'm in Canada so shipping via USPS is extremely slow. I have shipped items all over the world and to the US, what takes 4 days to Europe takes 2 weeks to the US. I have also purchased a lot of items on Ebay from the US and what used to take a week now takes up to 3 weeks for delivery. USPS isn't what it used to be. I usually get a little nervous after 4 weeks with no reply and no merchandise, but I'll give this guy a chance.

Fred

Hi Fred;

Thank you.

Posted on ebay is the 28 - 42 business days (week days) expected with USPS surface.

A speaker takes about one month by surface to my home.

A tweeter by USPS air takes about 10 days, at an increased cost.

I am in Canada and our post office has a list, Canada Post to the USA 5 - 8 days.

I had one go to California in two days and another recently took 14 business days to arrive.

The seller was getting nervous and I was worried of losing that auction and getting a bad rep.

If they say that the auction will be paid in full by a certain number of days, they can then re-list the items.

Watch out if the item was extremely low priced in particular.

A slip up in it's listing can make an item almost invisible to specific bidders.

Guest BeTtYbUdDy16

Well i cant find tweeters for the small advents im giving up all hope on ebay. Cause they are saying i bid on a whole lot of stuff and i was fraud and stuff and i only bid on 2 things they are framing it on me. So im just going to give up im having a rummage sale and am selling the small advents. Its either that or trashman gets em.

• 1 month later...
Guest gkentsmith

Hi,

I have the answer you are looking for. This is not a specific to Advent answer, but more specific to eBay. It is how I win most of my auctions (about a 98% success rate).

There is a web site called eSnipe (www.esnipe.com) that exists specifically to do what you need to do. I'm almost sorry to give this out because it'll probably cost me an auction or two in the future.

When you sign up at eSnipe you simply buy some points (one cent per point, and you can use PayPal to buy them). You buy in increments of 1000 points or more (that's $10 for the math impaired - lol). Then, as items come up on eBay that you want to have you simply enter the auction id and specify the max amount you're willing to pay. A side benefit from this is that you avoid tipping your hand and stay out of bidding wars.

eSnipe then does everything else for you. At 6 seconds prior to auction end (you can change the number of seconds if you want) it enters your max bid amount (if no one has bid higher already) and if no one else is using eSnipe and outbids you, you automatically win at the lowest amount you needed to win based on eBay's bid structure. Your cost is a deduction in your point balance equivalent to 1 point per dollar of the final selling price NOT INCLUDING shipping. So a $30 final sales price costs you 30 points; you started with 1000 points, so you can see that this works out pretty well.

If memory serves, eSnipe even gives you some free points to start with, and eBay doesn't object to the eSnipe use. As a matter of fact, I was told that the eSnipe product changed hands a while back, and it was bought on eBay by the current owners who used eSnipe to buy it (lol). Click on the link and read their main page - ir'll answer ny questions you might have.

Hope this helps everyone,

Kent

Guest gkentsmith

Hey!

Don't trash them or give them away. I have plenty of spare tweeters. If you haven't already got rid of them, I'll pay $50 plus shipping for them.

Kent

Guest gkentsmith

Hi,

I know I'm late jumping in on the DCR (ohms) question, but here is my finding based on testing dozens of "fried egg" style Advent tweeters. Ideally, they normally should test in the high 2.x area, usually around 2.8 or 2.9 although slightly lower readings are not usually indicative of a problem. I have used 2 different multimeters and find that the readings take a short time to settle, and even then they seem to like to "bounce" a bit. Also, as answered in a different thread, the orange and the green versions test identically.

It is my understanding that the nominal impedence on the speaker is influenced by two other factors in addition to the driver impedence. One factor is the crossover network itself, and the other is if the woofer and tweeter connections through the crossover are parallel or in series. I am not an electrical engineer, so I can't explain this any better.

Kent

Archived