mixing different Advent models

Guest dsurkin

Guest dsurkin

I have a Denon 2807 driving a 5 speaker set up in my den:

Left and right front--my original Large Advent (2nd generation, Walnut cabinet)--woofers reconed.

Center--components from a vinyl Large Advent that I mounted in an empty 2nd generation walnut cabinet.

Left and right surround--Small Advents, reconed.

A friend of mine who recently bought Dali speakers gave me his pair of Advent 5012s. He had reconed the woofers not long ago.

Here's my concern: the Denon is rated down to 6 ohms (though it can drive 4 ohms for some unspecified shorter period), and the Small Advents are 4 ohms. I know that the Small Advents are sonically very similar to the Large Advents. Should I replace my Small Advents with the 5012s to match all the impedence at 8 ohms? Or will the Denon handle the Small Advents reasonably well?

Replacing the Small Advents with the 5012 in the den will risk failing the WAF, due to increased size of the speakers. Depending upon which I use in the den, I'll move either the 5012s or the Small Advents to my living room to use with my old NAD stereo receiver, which can drive 4 ohms.

Thanks to anyone who can comment on this question.

--Dean L. Surkin

Guest SpruceMoose

i am running double large advents l/c/r, and double minimus-7s for the sides and rear. that yields about 3 ohms l/c/r, and 4 ohms for the rest. my kenwood receiver doesnt seem to care. and thats even at way too loud levels during some movies. i would say if the amp is not shutting down or distorting, its OK. YMMV, of course.

Archived