Question re: smaller advents

Guest yeehayashi

Guest yeehayashi

I recently picked up a pair of smaller advent speakers and plan to drive them with my Carver receiver but I'm unsure if it is safe to run them simultaneously with a pair of the original large advents. Because the smaller advents are 4 ohm, is it unsafe to drive both the 4 ohm smaller advents with the 8 ohm large advents? Would I risk damaging the speakers or the receiver?

Guest daveshel

That scenario does pose some risk to your amp, depending on its ability to handle low impedance loads. I'd make sure it is rated or known to be able to handle 2 ohm loads. The nominal impedance of those in parallel would be 2.66 but at some frequencies it would be lower.

>That scenario does pose some risk to your amp, depending on

>its ability to handle low impedance loads. I'd make sure it is

>rated or known to be able to handle 2 ohm loads. The nominal

>impedance of those in parallel would be 2.66 but at some

>frequencies it would be lower.

Hi there,

Spence, Dave, is correct that the combined impedance is low.

Check your owners manual, or Carver's website for the specs or google a search for your piece of equipment.

The Carver may be safe at low impedances, but I would question if the speakers are, for example, front and rear channel or in different rooms.

Fusing your speaker investment, would also be a very good idea.

If you are using them as front and rear, the balance will be off.

A Dynaco Quadapter or similar device will give a more natural sound spread.

The Dynaco system can be faked, with a single power resistor as well.

Faked, as in, psuedo 4 dimensional sound, using only a single power wire-wound resistor of a chose value, which allows no volume adjustment.

The Quadapter was designed to be used with Dynaco 8 ohm speakers with their extremely smooth impedance curve, and it will work with this setup as well.

Good luck.

Archived