fix Advent

Guest David9416

Guest David9416

I'm looking for some help. I have two large Advent cabinet speakers (I don't remember if they are two-way or three-way). Bought them, let's say 35 year ago.

For the last ten years, I've been travelling and bringing them with me everywhere packed up - but never stopping in a place that was large enough to set them up - until now.

So I set them up in my new house and they sound good except there's what sounds like a mechanical rumble on bass lines and they're unusable.

Don't want to think I dragged them around for nothing all these years so I'm lookng for someone who can fix them - a commercial outfit I can trust, hopefully in the Philadelphia or South Jersey area so I don't have to ship them out but can drive there.

Any ideas? Email David at drosenberg@aemdco.com

Guest russwollman

David, I can't help you with repair places in your area. But there are many very knowledgeable people on this site who might be able to help you fix the problem if they knew more about the symptom. If you want to tackle it yourself—and it might be as simple as installing new foam woofer surrounds—why not elaborate on your description of the rumble, explaining when it occurs, quality of its sound, etc.

And you might also check the condition of the foam surrounds around the edge of the woofers' cones. If when you touch the foam, you make a hole, then they're gone. Redoing them is not hard. I can help you further if you like.

Best wishes, Russ Wollman

Large advents are usually two way this is the same with most older and some newer advents. Your advents should be 2 way unless some one added a mid range as for the rumble im putting my money on shot surrounds pull your grill off and take a look. Keep us updated on your progress and for the surrounds this is a good place to order them www.partsexpress.com kit comes with everything including instructions. But first you need to see if they have the masonite ring if they have the masonite ring. The surrounds should be facing in wards not out wards like most speakers. Its fairly easy to fix dont be afraid we are here to help if things go wrong but if you are carefull you shouldn't screw it up.

Archived