Large vintage advent speakers.

Guest joe1832

Guest joe1832

Hi. I'm new here. Looking for info on a pair of large floor model triple speakers I just purchased at auction. Speakers look in perfect condition. Foam is dry rotting but still intact with very little damage only at very outside edges. How can I tell if all three speakers in each cabinet are working? Only seem to be hearing sound from mid size one. What dose the fuse on back of cabinet do? Speakers sound same with or without. Also, what size speaker wire should I use? Is this causing any of my problem?

• 2 weeks later...

Most older advents are only two way which means they have a woofer and a tweeter no mid. Does it have a brilliance knob on the back of the speaker? If not check the fuses you said the tweeters were not working. If you have a can of deoxit spray it in to the brillance pot wiggle the brilliance knob around and hook it up see if all of the tweeter works. But if the tweeter isnt working check the fuses the fuses are there to protect the tweeter incase if your amp goes into clipping it will just blow the fuse not your tweeter. If the fuse is blown there will be a number on the metal cap take that number right it down on a piece of paper so you can replace it with the correct value. And if you had any pictures that would be nice to see because from what you described it it didnt sound like large advents it sounded like a different model. You could post the pics up here so i can kinda get an idea of what you are dealing with. Hope this helps good luck with your new speakers advents are a great speaker i hope you enjoy them as much as i am. You can also order the foam surrounds at www.partsexpress.com. But you have to take the correct measurments of the woofers and order the correct size. If you order the kit it comes with every thing glue cotton swabs instructions little strips of paper. You put in between the magnet and the voice coil to keep the speaker balanced as you replace the surrounds. If you dont use the paper the chances are you will get cone rub its were it makes a kind of scraping sound. If its not the fuse or the brilliance knob it could be more serious. Maybe with the capacitators in the crossover or it could be a speaker thats blown or its not hooked up to the crossover. There could be several solutions to your problems. Keep me up dated on your progress i hope to help as we go along.

Joe:

Normally, Large Advent speakers are two way as noted in a previous thread. I have worked on a number of these and haven't seen a fuse. Someone may have added one to the speakers you bought.

Large Advents have a three position toggle switch that modulates the tweeter to balance it to your listening taste.

If you are not getting any bass then the problem most likely are those rotted woofer surrounds. You can check to see if the woofers are working at all by just feeling them while playing some music with good bass.

If they move then the surrounds are your only problem. If they don't move, you have other problems.

I repair speaker surrounds and also provide crossover upgrade services. See attached photo below of an upgrade job I recently finished for a Large Advent customer. The picture shows the crossover attached to a piece of cardboard prior to shipping it back to a customer. It is not installed in the speaker yet. Every part was renewed.

Carl's Custom Loudspeakers

http://www.classicloudspeakerservices.com

Carlspeak@aol.com

>Hi. I'm new here. Looking for info on a pair of large floor

>model triple speakers I just purchased at auction. Speakers

>look in perfect condition. Foam is dry rotting but still

>intact with very little damage only at very outside edges. How

>can I tell if all three speakers in each cabinet are working?

>Only seem to be hearing sound from mid size one. What dose

>the fuse on back of cabinet do? Speakers sound same with or

>without. Also, what size speaker wire should I use? Is this

>causing any of my problem?

Hi Joe;

If possible can you take photos of front and rear of the speakers?

What are the dimensions of the enclosures and drivers?

Does the area around the fuseholder indicate the type and size of fuse required?

Can you check the continuity of the fuses or see if they are not blown and the correct rating?

You bought them at an auction?

Were the bidders advised of some issues such as needing re-foaming?

Beyond the fuse checking, I won't suggest anything yet as you may void any warantee that came with the purchase.

Archived