Orienting vertically stacked Advents

Guest russwollman

Guest russwollman

Tonight while I was enjoying the music, I started to fiddle around with the 4 speakers, angling them in various ways.

I'd had the base pair headed straight and the top pair angled inward at 30 degrees. But then I angled the base pair at 30 inward and pointed the top pair at 30 degrees outward. The effect was interesting—more akin to a good hall, masking some of the impression of speakers in the room.

I'd like to try angling the top pair toward the ceiling. At live orchestral events so much of the sound seems to me to be up in the air. But I have only a 7 foot ceiling of acoustical tile (it's a basement apartment, so the walls are dead solid).

I'm going to play some more (the ever restless tweaker is rumbling deep inside me). But I wonder what other configurations particularly enchant the stacked Advent gang?

Guest daveshel

I have tried various angles but have always kept both members of a stack at the same angle.

So I am trying your idea tonight, with the bottom pair turned outward and the top part turned inward. It does seem to expand the soundstage. It also seems to contribute to a wider range of the room in which the imaging is good. But when I sit in the sweet spot, I think I lose some of the synergistic effect on the image that comes from stacked Advents. Might well expect this: is it a spot light or a flood light?

My speakers are on stands that angle them a few degrees off of vertical, so I don't care much for the effect on their stability. Good thing no kids or pets a my house.

I'll have to play with some different angles, and I think this may be a useful way to adjust for your present needs: tight focus for serious sit-still listening, a little more diffused for when you are moving about multitasking.

Archived