Round or Square Magnets.

Guest Namazu

I bought a pair of New Advent Loudspeakers back in '77. Sometime in the '80s the foam fell apart, and in my ignorance I bought a pair of replacement Advent woofers but they were not identical to the originals. The dealer never told me about refoaming and I had no idea it was available. The original woofers had square magnets with flat backplates, the replacements have round magnets with bumped backplates. I always suspected that these new woofers did not have the same bass extension as the originals. Is this true? (shudder)

Of course those original woofers are long gone, but some other changes aside from the magnet shape stuck in my mind. For example it appeared that the round magnet voice coils are not double wound, and the magnets themselves are a bit smaller. I do hope there was some positive sonic reasons for these alterations and not just an act of the almighty money counters?

Finally, over time I did eventually refoam the new woofers and although they sound OK the compliance of the surrounds is nowhere near as soft as they used to be, and the bass response is even more inhibited even 7~8 years after the fact.

Any insite you could offer will be greatly appreciated.

Namazu

Guest SpruceMoose

those round-magnet woofers are not a well-regarded replacement for the original woofers. ok, they suck eggs, but somebody might like them. the best (cheapest) way to get back to the original sound would be to buy a pair off ebay, either refoamed or DIY. i am running 5 or 6 woofers that i refoamed myself over the last 3 years or so. no problems.

>those round-magnet woofers are not a well-regarded

>replacement for the original woofers. ok, they suck eggs, but

>somebody might like them. the best (cheapest) way to get back

>to the original sound would be to buy a pair off ebay, either

>refoamed or DIY. i am running 5 or 6 woofers that i refoamed

>myself over the last 3 years or so. no problems.

Hi there;

I certainly am not an expert, but, I believe the original The Large Advent woofers had the masonite ring.

After that I don't know what happened except I see woofers without a masonite ring.

There was a Advent/1 which I know absolutely nothing about except the name.

Can anyone clear this up for me, please.

I believe the original, The Large Advent, had a raised tweeter less screen and applied it later on.

Advent/1 had a flush tweeter which I believe had ferrofluid.

Do I have a problem with my understanding or order?

Would it be correct to say that all the large framed woofers (except the masonite ring type) are identical as long as they have a square magnet? So the woofer of a New Advent Loudspeaker is the same as an Advent 1, or an Advent 2, etc? If this is true it will help broaden my search criteria.

• 14 years later...

Find a pair of originals  and recone them is the best you'll do refoam them if at all possible but if the coil is bad.... the original coil is completely different  as well and you'll have to Frankenstein it to get anywhere near the wonders of auditable joy those fantastic Advents made possibly the best speaker I've ever heard in my 47yrs of living... and to any who don't know the square had better performance, feq response, and sound largely due to the larger coil hidden inside.....and no way the replacements even come close though they may sound good they are not the original  great.