Need The Small Advent Woofers

Guest makscopes

Guest makscopes

I just scored a pair of working Smaller Advent speakers from a thrift store. I was disappointed to see that the woofers have been replaced by Realistic 10". Does anyone know where I can get a replacement pair? I have checked ebay, and there are not any (unless it is the same woofer as The Advent speakers).

Thanks!

Milton

Guest russwollman

The SA woofers do appear on eBay, but infrequently. You may be in for a wait, worth it even if you have to replace the foam surround, which is an easy operation and a bit of fun, knowing that you've given new life to an remarkable old creation.

You probably know how to save an eBay search and set it to email you when new items appear. There are usually about 100 items listed for Advent under loudspeakers so it's not a chore to check often if you have the items organized by "Newly listed".

Layne Audio—http://layneaudio.hypermart.net/Advent.htm—offers a replacement but they are unbelievably difficult to reach.

The Smaller Advent is a fine speaker well worth preserving. I've even recovered the plastic veneer with real wood veneer, which makes them beautiful little boxes. I have a set covered in white birch (an inexpensive veneer that's quite nice) and have replaced the tweeters, capacitors, and recovered the front panels—and though I have no current use for them, I can't bring myself to part with them ;-).

Guest russwollman

Hi, mak.

I got curious and began looking.

There's a pair of SA's on eBay at $30 now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...5770944500&rd=1

They're listed under Consumer Electronics>Vintage Electronics>Speakers.

The seller has replaced the foam surrounds.

That's one way to get what you want if you can't wait for the components themselves to come up.

Archived