know production year thru serial no???

Guest analoguy

Guest analoguy

hi

is there any means of knowing the production date of the large advents or atleast the year ,by the serial number tag inside the speakers???...or is there any other way??

i opened my advents to tighten up the screws ....the screws were loose ...cause the particle board gave away..so i drilled new holes slightly away from the old holes ...but the holes have to be drilled very near to the circumfrence of the woofer opeaning ...which gives away soon?.....ok anway ...so i was inspecting the speakers ..where i found the tags in each speaker U 99111 , U 98568...The woofer's magnet was square ...and so was the tweeter's which was exposed ..not covered .

Can one determine the speaker's production year with these information ?....cause i could not spot any other significant sign to realate with production year.

thanks

Guest russwollman

Hi, analoguy. I've found some magnets are stamped with the production date.

But you know there were several series of Advents, such as A3, A4, etc., and someone might know a range of production dates from that designation.

If the particle board flakes away when you drill it, you could use the toothed nuts like AR used. It's a threaded nut with a larger outer flange which sprout pointed teeth that dig into the mounting surface.

They'll mount on the inside of the front baffle. They're commonly used now as mounting hardware for casters or feet on furniture legs. I do know that Lowe's has them.

Is it clear, my description of them? They may solve your problem.

Hello there.

T-Nuts is one brand name you might find.

I once went hunting for 1 for a stripped AR cabinet.

I found a furniture re-finshing store that had them in bulk.

We have a Lee Valley chain store here that carrys T-Nuts in different thread sizes and a choice in the number of teeth.

You just pre-drill a hole and gently tap them home.

You can spread a small amount of epoxy or other glue around the perimeter to bind it even better.

Also at Home Depot here, there is about 4 sizes of Nut-Certs, a metal equivalent for metal cabinet makers or hifi modifiers.

Good luck.

>Hi, analoguy. I've found some magnets are stamped with the

>production date.

>

>But you know there were several series of Advents, such as A3,

>A4, etc., and someone might know a range of production dates

>from that designation.

>

>If the particle board flakes away when you drill it, you could

>use the toothed nuts like AR used. It's a threaded nut with a

>larger outer flange which sprout pointed teeth that dig into

>the mounting surface.

>

>They'll mount on the inside of the front baffle. They're

>commonly used now as mounting hardware for casters or feet on

>furniture legs. I do know that Lowe's has them.

>

>Is it clear, my description of them? They may solve your

>problem.

Guest analoguy

hi

i didnt find any markings in the magnet ...the one thing i know is both the drivers had the square magnets .I guess larger advents started production from 1972 on wards ...but till when did they last ?..i see many large advents with the phrase " disinged by henry E kloss "..in the binding post ..but some donot have that line ...mine has it...does it carry any relevence to production date?...well regarding the screws i shall hunt for "T screws"..or what ever fints a particle board with out wearing it off ...any way thanks a lot for the tip...

Guest Ken Perkins

I think ALL of the first generation say this because that version was designed by Henry. Mine were built in May of 1976 and say this on the input plate. I suppose they removed this on the second generation since Andy Petite voiced those.

Archived