large advents- are they floor standing speakers??

Guest analoguy

Guest analoguy

hi

i have been wondering about..wat kind of speakers does the large advents belong to ...if its a floor standing type ..the drivers are supposed to stand up to the human ear leavel in sitting position.And i dont think the advents placed on the floor would reach the ear level.

so whats the recomended position for these speakers ...how should one place them to enjoy their full perfomance?.. or is it not nesesary that the drivers should stand up to the ear level ?

Kindly guide me about placing these wonderfull speakers ?..should we use stands or any other frames ?..if so how should they be ?..and i would also love to know ..how the exsisting large advent owners have placed their speakers?..

thanks

Guest Ken Perkins

They're great on the floor if you sit on the floor. I find that to get the speakers up to a point that the image was lifelike and the sound isn't muffled and thick, I had to get them 10" off the floor. My "stands" are just simple plywood boxes painted black and filled with cat liter for mass. You might want to look at Pete B.'s passive eq circuit further done as it gives the speakers a nice balance when on stands and away from walls without destroying the voicing. Works great in the tape monitor loop.

Good morning

The Larger Advent speaker, is like similar sized speakers with direct radiators, meant to be off of the floor.

Like most all speakers the tweeters should be about ear height.

On the floor boosts the bass.

If there is shag carpet, the highs will be somewhat absorbed.

A hardwood or tile floor wood be more reflective of the highs.

If you stand the speaker upright on a padded footstool, this is about 12" off the floor and this places the tweeter about ear height.

Eventually your wife may want the footstools back. lol

Aim the speakers towards you and space them about 6 - 8' apart maybe 12" out from the rear wall and away from side walls or doorways.

Definitely a stand is preferred, you can make one out of lumber or steel tubing and fill the tubing with lead shot.

Here in Vancouver, I see inexpensive stands at second hand stores and Value Villages on occasion, not big brand names, but they still work.

If you read magazines like, Stereophile, you'll see where the market is for those with a larger budget. Price doesn't always bring happiness.

Hope this helps you a little.

Have a great day.

Good luck.

ps. A 1 amp fast blow fuse in-line with each speaker would add a certain safety factor. Consider a $.25 fuse versus the possiblity of a $25.00 blown tweeter.

> i have been wondering about..wat kind of speakers does the

>large advents belong to ...if its a floor standing type ..the

>drivers are supposed to stand up to the human ear leavel in

>sitting position.And i dont think the advents placed on the

>floor would reach the ear level.

> so whats the recomended position for these

>speakers ...how should one place them to enjoy their full

>perfomance?.. or is it not nesesary that the drivers should

>stand up to the ear level ?

> Kindly guide me about placing these wonderfull

>speakers ?..should we use stands or any other frames ?..if so

>how should they be ?..and i would also love to know ..how the

>exsisting large advent owners have placed their speakers?..

>thanks

Guest SpruceMoose

thanx! i have had 12 people at once to watch master and commander. it was great! and yes, those are advent tweeters set into maple blocks. that makes 6 new large advents across the front. and i have a pair of smaller advents in custom cabinets for the rear channels. they are loaned out to a friend right now, until i get my new bookcases along the back wall.

sm.

Hi again.

I've been proven wrong again.

You see how wrong I was about the 6 - 8 feet spread between speakers.

You have a better answer 6 - 8 speakers across the front instead. lol

Talk about a wall of sound.

Would anyone like to guess if one was out of phase? lol

One picture is sure worth more than a thousand words.

I guess your lights dim when you turn on all of your systems? Eh?

Do you get an electric company discount?

You say you have your own power generator.

Have a great weekend and thanks for sharing your system.

>thanx! i have had 12 people at once to watch master and

>commander. it was great! and yes, those are advent tweeters

>set into maple blocks. that makes 6 new large advents across

>the front. and i have a pair of smaller advents in custom

>cabinets for the rear channels. they are loaned out to a

>friend right now, until i get my new bookcases along the back

>wall.

>

>sm.

Guest SpruceMoose

actually, i do have a generator! and a pair of UPSs on the system, one for the tv, and one for the audio goodies. i hate dropouts! i have been known to continue a good movie during a power failure. when the UPSs take over, i shut down the system. then its time to decide if the power will come back soon or not. if not, fire up the genset! then back to the show.

:)

sm.

Archived