question about Advent /3 bookshelf speakers

Guest klossdisciple

Guest klossdisciple

I picked up a pair of these with a broken woofer. I patched the woofer and was very impressed with the sound of these speakers. Later, I found a pair of woofers for the /3 on ebay and bought them.

Here's my question. The woofers I got from ebay are different from the ones I have, even though the numbers on the drivers are the same: W-1610B. The ebay ones have a more compliant suspension, and thinner cone, basically. They bottom out on bass in an unusual way, and sooner than you'd expect. They also have a distinct midrange coloration the others don't have. Does anybody have any information pertaining to this? With the original drivers, they are the best bookshelf-sized speakers I've heard. Subjectively very detailed with no coloration, with a seamless crossover to the cone tweeter. Thanks.

Guest klossdisciple

>well - most likely the original bass units had the common

>foam rot, and someone replaced the originals with aftermarket

>. . . ? Rick

Nope, these drivers have a surround made of cloth, coated with rubber on the front side for sealing. All four of them look to be in good condition.

Hi there

If possible take some digital photos of the speakers and copy them to a message for everyone to see and then we can make a more credible comment, hopefully.

I for one would appreciate seeing a photo.

Good luck

>>well - most likely the original bass units had the common

>>foam rot, and someone replaced the originals with

>aftermarket

>>. . . ? Rick

>

>Nope, these drivers have a surround made of cloth, coated with

>rubber on the front side for sealing. All four of them look

>to be in good condition.

• 8 months later...
Guest Eastcoast Sound Junkie

Hi:

I used to repair speakers and I've worked on quite a few Advents. The new drivers may be aftermarket. Is the magnet same size? Can you send front and back pictures of the new driver? Do you also have pictures of the old driver? It's been many years since I got a good look at one.

Archived