Cleaning Advent Grills

Guest aztekjohn

Guest aztekjohn

Anyone have a tip on cleaning the advent grill cloth? I have a pair of large Advents, cabinets are perfect but cloth has what appears to be water or soda stains. The stains are minor, but would sure like to clean them up.

Guest russwollman

It will probably be hard to spot clean the material in place. That I wouldn't try.

You'll have to remove the material from the front board, and clean it whole by soaking in some mild soap, progressing to stronger agents if they won't come clean. If the stain is old, it will be hard to remove completely.

The fabric may shrink somewhat as a result, but you can usually stretch it back after it has dried. You'll need a staple gun and 1/4" staples to reattach the material. But have a look at the covers before you remove the cloth, and see how thick they are.

I cleaned some AR linen cloth this way. It worked well.

Advent used a few different products, the first of which was like AR's linen. The later version was more like a tough fabric screen, with a layer of fine black underneath.

It is extremely difficult to find suitable replacement material, especially if you're hooked on the original appearance. But you can find at some fabric stores some interesting things that will look right and be acoustically transparent.

I hope this helps.

>Anyone have a tip on cleaning the advent grill cloth? I have

>a pair of large Advents, cabinets are perfect but cloth has

>what appears to be water or soda stains. The stains are minor,

>but would sure like to clean them up.

Hi there

My daughter tried " Pink Solution " which is a creamy concentrate made here in North Vancouver which when diluted with water and rubbed on makes an AR grille cloth look reeaall good. I am not saying perfect but real good. I did it without removing the cloth from the frame. I find that the wood frames and the wood cabinets have realy dried out since they were manufactured and are hard and brittle and our current quality of staples don't often work too well together. The velcro strips on my LST's needed to be re-stapled and this is how I found out the hard way. Use caution and be careful, that is all I'm saying.

Maybe in your location there is a local product or maybe Amway has a cleaner.

You may also try " Oxy Clean " brand liquid.

Don't we all wish we had another piece of sample grille cloth to try it on.

Whatever you do don't try an area where it can be seen until you've tried a hidden section first.

Have a great day and good luck.

Guest russwollman

Actually, I used ammonia and then clorox bleach (gasp if you wish, but they were really dingy) to clean the AR linen materials I referred to earlier.

They weren't harmed in the least. And they were pretty darn white after the process. I was intent on maintaining the original AR look.

Most of that old cloth is pretty tough stuff. Assuming the fabric isn't weak or frayed and is intact, you can probably clean it with any of the usual, modern suspects.

I didn't mention the ammonia and clorox at first, mainly because I didn't want to start a chain of gasps among the purists. But this is the Advent board, so maybe the AR guys won't notice ;-).

Also—to avoid inadvertent, unexpected gasping, do not mix ammonia and clorox. Combined, they will really clean your clock, because chlorine gas gets produced.

Archived