Stacked Advents

Guest Loetek

Guest Loetek

I just found this forum while searching for info on stacking (2 per channel) the original Large Advents. I have read about the original experimentation in 'The Absolute Sound', along with other postings and forums. Most (if not all) of this was probably written when 2-channel stereo was king - long before Dolby, 5.1, 6.1, etc.

My question is: can you hook-up a double Advent system to a 5.1 surround system? The receiver I have is a Pioneer VSX-712, and it has A/B speaker switching. If you select 'A', then all the speakers in the 5.1 system are powered. If you select 'B', then just the Main speakers and another (Auxiliary) set of speakers are powered.

Obviously, if I hooked up 2 Advents in parallel (on each channel) you would reduce each speaker to 4 Ohms. I am not sure how this would effect the other speakers in the 5.1 surround system?

On the other hand, I could run separate speaker wires via the Auxiliary Speaker connection. I could only play the double Advents with the receiver in the 'B' speaker selection (and the other speakers turned off). But all Advent speakers would be 8 Ohms.

I currently only have one pair of the Large Advents, but I am seriously considering getting another pair. Any thoughts, ideas, or comments on how I should hook them up???

Archived