Advent pdf brochure

Guest Roberto

• 3 months later...

Hi Roberto

This is a wonderful copy of the Advent booklet.

Would you please share with us what equipment and the procedure you used to obtain such quality photos/copies ending up in a zip file.

I have numerous articles which I will make available to Arsenal and maybe this is a practical method to do it.

Keep up the good work, Roberto.

Thank you.

> this is the file, sorry for my previous error!

>Roberto

• 3 months later...
Guest Roberto

Hi, VERN

excuse me for the great delay with which I answer you, but I have had a difficult period.

I am not the author of the document, but I can tell you that it has been done with ACROBAT DISTILLER after having scanned the images.

ACROBAT DISTILLER is expensive, a free alternative is "JAWS TO PDF" that you can free download from: www.jawspdf.com.

Shortly also I will send other documents on the site.

still excuse me(also for my English!)

Roberto

• 2 weeks later...

This is not the genuine original Advent brochure. It is an amazingly clever re-creation of that brochure, but with several glaring flaws and inaccuracies, embarrassingly obvious to someone who’s familiar with the genuine article.

Virtually all photographs are different. For example, the Smaller Advent woofer on page 8 is a drop-in by the counterfeiter, complete with messy Mortite gasketing around the edges. The real photo shows a clean woofer, one that is suitable for inclusion in a professionally-produced document.

The entire piece is rife with spelling, punctuation, and grammatical errors. Since so much of my writing has been published, I’m particularly sensitive to these things. Writers love to try to "preempt" their editors by catching their own mistakes before they’re seen by someone else. (It’s an ego thing.) The real giveaway is the text in the box on the bottom of page 5. In the real Advent brochure, this text was the zenith, the punch line, the absolute coup-de-grace of their argument for why Advent had "better" highs compared to the AR’s of that time period. The last sentence of the real copy reads, "Many systems that do justice to string quartets do not do the same justice to trumpets and snare drums." Yet, incredibly, in this phony document, the "author" leaves off the end of the sentence ("...trumpets and snare drums."), so the point is never made! This is very sloppy production work, and it betrays a total lack of professional proofreading and editing.

I know one of the two original founders of Advent quite well. When I first saw this fake document on this forum several months ago, I wondered what it was, and how such a blatantly bogus piece could even exist. I thought to myself that perhaps it was a pre-publication rough draft that had somehow surfaced. Oftentimes in pre-pubs, the photos are not final; instead they’re called "FPO," which stands for "For Positioning Only." It’s a way of holding the space on the page for the photo so that copy layout and page design can be completed in the meantime. When the real photos are ready, they’re dropped into the FPO slots. I’ve done hundreds of brochures and advertisements over the years, and that’s how things are done.

When I asked him if that was the case here, he said, "No. This document is a total fake. We never used these photos, we never made these grammatical mistakes, and a ‘pre-production rough draft’ of the brochure doesn’t exist anywhere, so it couldn’t just ‘pop up’ unexpectedly. I am absolutely astonished, and quite frankly a little flattered, that someone would go to all the trouble of trying to duplicate our original brochure. But this is not a very good job."

So that’s the story. I’m sure no harm was intended, but no one should think this is the real Advent brochure. It’s as phony as a 3-dollar bill. Maybe even as phony as a CBS Bush-National Guard document.

Steve F.

Guest Roberto

Dear Steve,

as I have said I am not already the author of the document, I have found it on internet this way.

My intent was alone to free divulge something to disposition of everybody.

Do you know that there are errors? I'm very sorry for the errors, but I dont know the original document.

Do you have the original one? because you don't publish it,or do you prefer to sell it?

Roberto.

Guest Roberto

Dear Steve,

I have thought that it was correct to go up again again to the source of the document, so I am returned to look for in internet where I had found it.

After a lot of time, I have found it!

It deals with one fellow citizen of yours, you can visit his site:

www.davidreaton.com/Advent.htm

Its intentions were certainly good: he only wanted to free divulge a "to know", I think that some "small" error is admissible.

cordially

Roberto.

As I said in my previous post, I’m sure no harm or deception was intended by the creation of the fake Advent brochure; I simply felt that for the sake of historical accuracy the members of this Forum deserved to know that the document in question was not the authentic brochure.

The overwhelming number of amateurish grammatical, formatting and punctuation errors was truly striking—-so much so that I was compelled to ascertain from the source whether or not this document had any official origins at all. It did not.

I have been in contact with Mark to give him a copy of the real Advent brochure for him to post on the site. This episode should point out, once again, that the Internet is a wide-open, uncorroborated medium, and any information derived from it should be evaluated for veracity with the utmost care.

Steve F.

There is, in fact, a copy of the genuine Advent brochure on this site already. In the Advent section, simply go to "Brochure describing the The Advent, Smaller Advent, and Double Advent loudspeaker systems" and download the Zip file. That brochure is an authentic first-generation document, second revision. The one that I have—-directly from one of Advent’s originators—-is the very first revision. It is identical except for the slightly less comprehensive review quote section (my version doesn’t have a separate section for Press Comment on the Smaller Advent Loudspeaker), it only pictures the Large Advent on the rear cover (not both models), and it does not have the brochure part number. Otherwise, all the text and photos are the same as what is already on the site. Therefore, I won’t be sending mine to Mark for posting, since the two are almost identical.

Incidentally, the site where Roberto found the imitation brochure (www.davidreaton.com/Advent.htm) is truly fascinating. Much of the material is completely hand-created by the author—the "ad," the brochure, and the logo. The history and product descriptions are amusingly close to being accurate, but just not "quite" right in many instances.

Obviously, the site’s creator felt very strongly about the original Advent products and his desire to perpetuate their memory is laudable. However, this exercise is an excellent illustration of "one’s reach exceeding one’s grasp." Well-intentioned, but somewhat shoddily executed, I’m afraid.

Steve F.

• 2 years later...
Guest stumpy

>There is, in fact, a copy of the genuine Advent brochure on

>this site already. In the Advent section, simply go to

>"Brochure describing the The Advent, Smaller Advent, and

>Double Advent loudspeaker systems" and download the Zip

>file. Steve F.

I've gone over every post prior to this one and cannot find the file you're referring to. Could you provide better directions.

NEVERMIND, I just went to the main page www.classicspeakerpages.net and opened up the Advent page in the Library - there it was. Sorry!

Archived