Are these "Large" Advent speakers?

Guest sopraan

Guest sopraan

If anyone knows how to tell what "version" of speakers these are, it would be a big help. I acquired a pair of Advents with a blown woofer & need to find parts/fixing. I think they are Large Advents but haven't found enough descriptive/comparative data or descriptions on the internet to be able to tell.

Here's what the speakers have told me about themselves:

"The Advent Loudspeaker" - what it's called on the paper stapled to the back of one speaker.

26" tall

2-way acoustic suspension

1 woofer about 9" diam

1 tweeter about 3.5" diam

Serial #: A200378

made circa 1973 (?) (according to the previous owner)

heavy (!) cabinets, probably walnut

I appreciate assistance from anyone who knows how to research these things.

Guest SpruceMoose

yes, those are the original large advents. for interesting reading, go here:

http://www.arsenal.net/speakers/advent/advent.htm

i like the part about the doubles. in fact, i'm running three sets of doubles in home-made enclosures across the front of my livingroom/ht room. amazing sound! see pic pelow.

now i just have to re-foam the pair in the bedroom (just like yours, from the description) and i can really rock the house!

sm.

post-100436-1079482829.jpg

You say the woofer is blown. Could it be that the foam that surrounds the woofer has deteriorated? If so you can easily fix that. I just repaired a set of large advents that had the foam surrounds deteriorated. You can get a hold of a replacement set from simply speakers for about $25. There are a couple of good articles on this web site about how to fix that. When you are done they sound new.

Leo

Guest SpruceMoose

the cat usually dosent care about the speakers, although sometimes they will get her attention. the dog looks at them funny too. as for the sound, its wonderful!!! movies and music both rock the house!

as for the older style pair in the bedroom, i just installed the newly-refoamed woofers this morning. easy fix. great sound. if you have a pair of advents lying around, either fix them up or send them to me! :)

sm.

• 1 month later...
Guest sopraan

>You say the woofer is blown. Could it be that the foam that

>surrounds the woofer has deteriorated? If so you can easily

>fix that. I just repaired a set of large advents that had the

>foam surrounds deteriorated. You can get a hold of a

>replacement set from simply speakers for about $25. There are

>a couple of good articles on this web site about how to fix

>that. When you are done they sound new.

I am going to try refoaming, after looking around some more at others' experiences. Thanks!

Archived