8" woofer specs for Advent Prodigy??

Guest RPK2

I'm trying to replace the 8" woofers in mt Advent Prodigy's, but can't find specs on the originals for comparison. Anyone out there have the specs? I tried Layne Audio but can't get thru on the phone and can't get an e-mail returned either.

I'm lookng at some 8" I found at The Sound Clearinghouse http://www.speakerpage.com/S08911.htm - lots of good performance info, but I'm not sure if they're a good match compared to the originals.

Any advice????

Randy in MI

• 2 months later...
Guest clarkee

I have to replace my Advent Prodigy woofers also-- wondering if you got any feedback that led you to good 8" replacemnts, or if you have any feedback yourself after buying anything. Thanks for the help.

Bob

• 2 years later...

Little late on that post... didn't notice.

:-)

I guess speakers like these i.e. non-plastic cube types, unfortunately just don't get as much attention they used to!

I wish Audiovox would resurrect Advent, in a modernized manner but still using nice wood and furniture-like styling instead of that tacky "hi-tech" look favored by so many brands now. I am sure many people will not buy many new speakers only because of their ugly silver enclosures and shiny trim that clashes with normal living rooms.

Guest aj_chicago

I agree 101% ! Does the younger generation (16 to 35 year olds) actually like the new designs? I don't understand why the manufacturers decided to totally abandon the look that we are talking about. They did the same thing with the other components, too, though... now that I think about it. Now you only get mostly cheap looking plastic and "tin", but in an expensive box. I know the reason... because people still buy it. Same with Cubs baseball tickets. If people stopped buying things might change.

Does the younger generation (16 to 35 year olds) actually like the new designs?

You know, I don't know because I don't know anyone that age that is even interested in owning a component audio system. They all want to buy or already own either one of those little plastic bookshelf mini-systems or a box where their iPod "docks" into.

And when I read other forums where that age group (going by the language they use)asks about what speakers to buy many of them think a speaker that uses a single 6.5 inch woofer is "big". Holy cow, can you imagine their reaction to a Large Advent?! But there *are* others in that same group own speakers that large, so there is hope. :^)

I am hoping after this fad with iPods and MP3s slows down (I doubt it will ever disappear because they do have their uses) younger people will discover how good sound can increase their enjoyment of music and that it doesn't cost that much to do so. Some of those iPod docks cost as much a basic stereo receiver + some good quality bookshelf speakers!

Archived