Advent Woods Refurbishment

Leo7504

I have a pair if Large Advent Woods I purchased in 1971, mfg in Cambridge, Ser. # 49472 and 49419. The woofers are in bad shape as the paper cone that allows the woofer to reverberate have disintegrated. Does anyone have a suggestion as to a suitable replacement that duplicates the original sound qualities? I had a local "Best Buy" dip dunk tell me that it probably wasn't worth trying to replace, but I stumbled upon this website and found that some audiophiles would disagree.

I remember spending lots of time mesmerized by the music played by those advents!

Guest rickcee

The actual paper cone ( bass unit ?) or the foam surround ?

foam surround replacement is fairly routine, even self repair if you're above average in hands on fine work . . . might even be total speaker rebuild or new, high quality bass units available - see links to start. . . assuming the actual wood finish is pretty good, well worth saving. Rick

• 2 weeks later...

Let me answer my own question. You can get good quality replacement foam surrounds from Simply Speakers. Cost is about $22 and they are relatively easy to replace. I've just done so and they sound wonderful. A lot of helpful advice on this site for refurbishing.

Leo

Guest SpruceMoose

if you mean that the foam surround that attaches the paper cone to the masonite ring is shot, you can pick up a repair kit on ebay, abong other places. worked for me!

sm.

Archived