Small Advents in HT setup?

Guest davewe

A couple months ago I purchased a pair of original Small Advents, refoamed. I added them to my also newly acquired Fisher 800-C. Fantastic! I have this stereo set up in my living room (pretty good sized room).

A couple weeks after that I stumbled on a pair of orgininal Large Advents that needed to be refoamed. Between the speakers and refoaming, I paid all of $100. I have placed these speakers as my mains in my basement HT. I haven't calibrated the system yet, but they sound great. However, it occured to me that they may be overkill in the HT and perhaps I should consider switching the 2 sets of speakers.

The question then becomes, can I safely run the 4 Ohm Small Advents with my Denon 1601 5.1 receiver? Any reason it won't work?

Thanks,

Dave

Guest SpruceMoose

use the advents! they are great for a home theater setup! and not bad for music either :) i'm using a home-built set of doubles up front, and in the process of building a center channel unit out of large advent woofers and tweeters, split into 4 cabinets. one bass unit on each side of the rptv, and the tweeters set into maple blocks sitting on top of the tv. ought to be interesting. the plan is to build up 4 smaller advents for the sides and rears. i already have all the components on hand. there is a thread on this forum about the doubles i built.

enjoy your great speakers!

sm.

>use the advents! they are great for a home theater setup! and

>not bad for music either :) i'm using a home-built set of

>doubles up front, and in the process of building a center

>channel unit out of large advent woofers and tweeters, split

>into 4 cabinets. one bass unit on each side of the rptv, and

>the tweeters set into maple blocks sitting on top of the tv.

>ought to be interesting. the plan is to build up 4 smaller

>advents for the sides and rears.

Of course, I will be using Advents any way I do this. I just thought I'd like to try the Large Advents with my stereo setup, which means the Small Advents go down to my HT. However, since the Small Advents are 4 ohm, I was concerned if there was a problem in using them with my Denon 5.1 receiver. Any opinion on that issue?

Dave

Guest russwollman

Dave, check the specs/ratings/manual for your Denon. I think most contemporary amps will drive 4 ohm speakers without a problem. Your setup isn't unusual. Unless the manual cautions against driving a 4 ohm speaker load, you can use the Smaller Advents without trouble. Since it's an HT setup with many speakers, there must be some information about speaker impedance in the manual.

If you can't find enough information in the manual, contact Denon or a Denon store.

Archived