idea for center channel using advent parts

Guest SpruceMoose

Guest SpruceMoose

hi gang!

well, in my search for advent perfection, i have my doubles finished, and stationed on each side of my 53" panasonic rptv. they sound wonderful!

now for the center channel. i am using an advent audio focus center channel speaker, but id really doesnt match the sound of the large advents. gee..... who woulda guessed. so i had the idea to take the parts from another new large advent and make an angled box to sit on the floor in front of the tv. no go says the wife. cant really blame her, its kinda in the way. so how about this:

take two advent tweeters and mount them in blocks of wood, positioned on top of the tv. they can be aimed in any direction. make two enclosures, of the correct volume, to house a pair of large advent woofers and crossovers. position one on each side of the tv, kinda tucked in under the screen. the pedestal base is narrower than the screen on my tv. (panasonic 53wx53). due to the width requirement of the woofers, the boxes would stick out several inches on each side. no biggie. run a shielded cable from the tweeter output on the xover board to the seperate tweeters. power them both from the center channel output of the receiver. it should handle it, since its powering the doubles.

now, i could use a set of smaller advents, and make the boxes smaller and better fitting, but they are 4 ohms each, and the large advents are rated at 8 ohms. ok, so 6 is a better number, but the amp seems ok. i guess i could power the center(s) with an outboard amp, but that just adds to the final cost. i already have the parts available, and i intend to use the smaller parts for the sides and rear channels.

so..... watcha think? and major problems?

sm.

oh yeah... the woofer boxes and the tweeter blocks will be painted with the same black granite paint i used on the doubles.

post-100436-1075314939.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Guest SpruceMoose

well, i got the tweeters mounted in the wooden blocks. maple butcher block sections from an old work bench. they look ok, but i think i will still paint them with granite paint.

the woofer boxes are built, and the x-overs are mounted to cutouts in the back. i have one woofer mounted, and am waiting on the other one to get here so i can re-foam it and bolt it into the box.

the tweeter blocks are wired up, both woofer boxes are powered (one minus the woofer), and it sounds great! the image is biased to the side with the woofer, naturally, but the overall effect is very nice, and blends well with the mains.

now to paint the boxes and fix up the missing woofer!

sm.

Guest SpruceMoose

finally got a chance to sit down and watch a movie with the "new" center channel setup. well, minus one woofer. WOW!!! what a soundstage! MUCH better than the advent audio focus CC. full-bodied, solid sound across the entire front of the room. we watched pirates of the caribbean. the sword fights just jumped out at you!

cant wait to get the other woofer going. well worth the minimal expense and effort. i painted the boxes flat black yesterday. i plan to spray the cabinets with granite paint today.

Archived