Speaker cabinet material: particle board vs birch plywood

Guest russwollman

Guest russwollman

Am I correct that the Advents we all know and love always used particle board (or pressboard, as it may be) as the cabinet material?

My Advents are all the slightly later models with the rounded fron molding, but I wonder if the beveled edge models (which I've never inspected or owned) were constructed from different materials.

The reason I ask is that I also have several ARs, 2 pair of 2ax's and a pair of 3a's, and the cabinets seem to be made of birch plywood (or so I was told by Steve at Layne Audio). When I rap the sides of the ARs with my knuckles, the sound is quite solid, as opposed to the sound my knuckles create on the Advents, which sound rather hollow and less substantial. This worries me. Did the guys at AR know something magical about cabinet materials?

The ARs are animals quite different from the Advents though they share some heritage. The AR bass reproduction is rather more restrained than the Advents. And the ARs are heavy. The 3a is a real cannonball...

I have the ones with the beveled edges, dated 1976. The front and back are 3/4" particle board and the sides, top, and bottom are 3/4" walnut veneered plywood. These are also filled with foam...

Sorry, closer inspection this evening reveals the sides, top, and bottom are in fact particle board, but are veneered on both the outside and inside of the cabinet. Go figure how that saved on production costs.

Guest russwollman

Hello, Vic. Interesting. Are you sure about the veneer inside? Curious.

I have some old ARs that are of birch or some sort of plywood, and when I rap them with my knuckles, the sound is very solid. The particle board Advents, however, sound more hollow and less "dense". Advents and AR's, despite their common lineage and point of origin, are very different from each other.

My Advents have the molded front edge, not beveled, and I wondered if the earlier, beveled-edge cabinets were of plywood.

I always had a lot of respect for AR, trusted them largely due to their wonderfully honest, simple advertising backed up by relatively solid science (graphs of speaker response, for example) and I figured they'd picked plywood for some reason related to good sound. Yet The Advent Company extolled the virtues of their cabinet materials. And Henry Kloss was, I think, part of the AR operation for a while, as well as the man behind the "K" in KLH. Maybe I should build a set of cabinets of plywood and put Advent components in them.

I'm just curious about speaker design/construction. What loudspeakers do fascinates me. And there are so many diverse philosophies of speaker design and construction.

I made a similar post in the AR section of this site. You may want to read the replies, which offer some technical knowledge about the two cabinet materials.

Yep, I'm sure. The veneer on the inside is not finished with the darker walnut stain though. The design ideas seem endless - double sand-filled walls, lead plating, multiple cross braces - you'd think someone was designing a submarine. I just can't figure how my Advent/3s, with the 3/8" particle board box, paper tweeters, and little woofers sound so good - at lower volume very much like the big ones...

Guest mainstay

First time poster here. Just picked up a pair of near-mint New Large Advents. Also got the brochure. It states: "The New Advent Loudspeaker's cabinet is constructed of non-resonant particle board finished in genuine walnut veneer with a solid walnut front molding."

Guest russwollman

Isn't it amazing? I have a pair of Smaller Advents that are stunningly good—and they're beautiful, too. I replaced the tweeters and capacitors with upgrades from Layne Audio, replaced the woofer surrounds, and even veneered the cabinets, directly over the vinyl covering, in white birch with a waxed oil finish. Such capable small boxes they are. It's always great to get a lot from little. Henry K. undoubtedly knew his stuff. And the odd thing was that his purpose behind his speakers was that they would generate enough income to allow him to work on his dream project—a large-screen projection TV.

One thing I always admired was the simple, factual style of writing used in the original Advent promo brochures. AR's literature was somewhat similar: no hype, no ballyhoo, no sizzle, just plain-spoken, quiet language that worked. It gets me every time I re-read it, and makes today's squawking, often greasy hype instantly rancid and therefore quite suspect, which is why I don't buy much modern stuff.

Guest adventophile

I have two 1970 model large walnut advents #15844 and 15899.

They are particle board.

At the time Henry Kloss felt that the particle board would be more dense with the glue mixed in with the wood particles and without any knots as plywood would have.

This all lead to the cabinet being more non resonant. dave roxin.

Archived