Large Advent Loudspeaker (not Walnut)

Guest tombowlus

Guest tombowlus

I just picked up a pair of used Large Advent Loudspeakers off ebay, and they are not the walnut models. These appear to be some form of partical board, with a wood(ish) laminate, and have straight edges - no bevel. Can anyone tell me something about these? They do have the orange tweeter, adn the woofers appear to be original, but have been reconed. They sound pretty nice, but I have not had an opportunity to hear the walnut Advents. I presume that these are a similar design, but the "non-deluxe" model.

Thanks, Tom.

Guest tombowlus

FWIW, reading the literature posted elsewhere, I am guessing that I have the "walnut-finish vinyl clad" speakers. Any thoughts on how these sound compared to the "real wood" cabs?

Tom.

Guest SpruceMoose

they sound the same as the walnut version of the same vintage. which means wonderful! i have been running mine since 1977. i recently made them into a set of doubles. look for my post about that project if you are interested.

sm.

Guest tombowlus

Thanks for the reply! I am fairly happy with their sound, but I do think that the beveled edge walnut cabs look a fair bit better.

Did my own little experiment last night in "doubling." I tried my (also newly acquired from ebay) AR-2ax's on top of my Large Advents. Let me tell you, even though these aren't matched pairs, they did sound very good together! In addition to the stacking benefits, I found that the blended sound of the ARs and the Advents was quite nice. And my gosh, the low end was impressive!

Tom.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest adventophile

The vinyl clad advents were done to keep the cost down. There is a slight difference in sound if the front wood under the grill is black.

The very 1st ones had the pink fiberglass insulation in them and did a better job of controlling woofer excursions on heavey loud bass. Then they got cheap and just stuffed in yellow foam and it did not fill up the cabinet as well.

Also the woofer changed to a new frame where the foam could be put on the outside of the frame and the foam buldge could face out.

I will post on a different time the reason the foam edge needs to be glued underneath the fiberboard on speaker and the foam buldge needs to face in.

If you want all the power and glory of the originals and yours has been refoamed incorrectly you will limit your low bass excursions. dave.

Archived