Refinishing Large Advent Cabinets

Guest markjohnson22

Guest markjohnson22

I am looking at refinishing 4 large advent speakers (Walnut) due to various scratches, etc. Does anyone have recommended stain and finish products to closly match the origional finish?

Guest russwollman

Yes, I have redone several cabinets using WATCO danish oil finish, which is available in walnut (which I use) and dark walnut among other flavors. The walnut is very close, I think. I'm assuming you know about the sanding/preparation process so I won't go into that unless you wish.

After sanding carefully (veneer is thin, you know—especially so at the edges), I apply the WATCO oil per label instructions. Three days after final application, I wax them using WATCO finishing wax, applying the second coat using #400 (or #600 if you're really fussy) sandpaper. The result is a low-sheen "natural" finish and the wood is silky smooth to the hand, far smoother and to my eyes more costly in appearance than what the factory did. When you look at the finished product, you see right into the grain of the wood instead of looking at the wood through a layer of finish. Capisce?

The WATCO oil is not a surface finish like varnishes, which "sit" on top of the wood. While it offers a restrained sheen and a very smooth look, it will likely not protect the wood from water stains and the like as well as polyurethane or water-based varnishes. But for a refined surface feel and finish, it is far superior.

Lowe's stores have some WATCO products but a good lumber yard will likely have a wider selection.

If you want more advice, which is free, by the way) you can mail me russwollman@yahoo.com. You'll have fun with this and should end up with a nice looking product you'll enjoy.

I have even veneered Smaller Advents in white birch, directly over the original vinyl covering, with wonderful results.

Archived