Large stacking Vs. New Large stacking?

I posted this question over on the vintage site of Audio Asylum but really didn't get a definitive answer.

Stacked original Large Advents were known to be something quite special, in fact, they were the reference speakers for The Absolute Sound at one point. My question is - Do the New Large Advents retain that magic? If not, do they come close? I'm also interested if anyone has stacked Advent 1's. My personal experience is that the Advent 1 is every bit as enjoyable as the New Large and is really a great sounding design. Thoughts?

Regards,

Craig

Guest SpruceMoose

i just got a single pair of old large advents, so i dont know about how they sound stacked. but... did you see my post about the doubles i am building? they sound great!!!

sm.

>I posted this question over on the vintage site of Audio

>Asylum but really didn't get a definitive answer.

>Stacked original Large Advents were known to be something

>quite special, in fact, they were the reference speakers for

>The Absolute Sound at one point. My question is - Do the New

>Large Advents retain that magic? If not, do they come close?

>I'm also interested if anyone has stacked Advent 1's. My

>personal experience is that the Advent 1 is every bit as

>enjoyable as the New Large and is really a great sounding

>design. Thoughts?

>Regards,

>Craig

Well, I am running a stack of original Large Advents. In fact my whole HT system is Advents. Use the Stack for the L/R speakers wired in parallel...Center channel is 2 Advent/3's in parallel...surrounds are Advent/4's. All powered by a H/K AVR520 Receiver. Nice warm sound. Listen to music with the Stack only. As opposed to running the Large Advents unstacked, the sound is much fuller, with very strong deep bass. Don't even run a subwoofer...have plenty of oomph! The highs are a little weak for me (might be my hearing after all these years). However, I think I am going to do the tweeter upgrade from Layne Audio that is mentioned in this forum. I do not know about the New Large Advents in a stack, but from what I understand they are very similiar to the Original Advents, but I believe they had improved tweeters for better high end. I would think they would also sound as good stacked. Hope this helps.

Jerry

• 1 month later...

I am using an advent heritage and an original large walnut together on each side and I have never heard such a full sound. these two speakers compliment each other. I have the original in the normal tweeter mode and the heritage has no switch. The dome tweeter on the heritage gives me clean highs like cymbal rides that the original does not but the original tweeter can't be beat for clean mid highs.

The bass is awsome. I am using a 200 watt per channel JVC reference amp and using a radio shack vu meter on c weighting I have 110 db at 25 hz with the entire house shacking. No not practical but I am an organ buff and you wouldn't believe the low bass I hear that I did not on the heritage alone. They go down to 40 az well but it takes the original (masonite fronts, best woofer) to crank out 31hz and together they crank out 25 hz. Now the best part, without touching the volume control, I get 110db at 25hz, 31 hz, 40 hz and 50hz and 115 db at 60 hz, but back to 110db at 70 hz on up. The response is the flatest I have ever seen. Yes they do out perform my friends original AR 9's. We have backed it up with the vu meter.

If you do not have one get one just to set up you speakers especially when going to two different speakers like I have.

Archived