Finest quality surround foam

Does anyone have opinions on where to buy the highest quality replacement surrounds for my Advent 1's (3 pair) and my New Large Advents (2 pair). Also, on a different subject, I'm thinking of stacking and want to know if anyone thinks that pairing the 1's and the New Large will give the same effect as keeping the cabinets the same. Also, would stacking just Advent 1's have a similar effect as the larger cabinets?

Thanks, Craig

• 2 weeks later...
Guest russwollman

Contact Layne Audio at 615-298-4124. The fellow there—Steve is his name, I think—really runs a good show and can advise you about surrounds and possibly the stacking question. I want to try that myself, having recently re-discovered how great the Advents are. Layne Audio also offers upgraded tweeters & caps that are wonderful replacements for the orange tweeters that, though somehow very famous, are bettered by the replacements. Tweeter technology has progressed.

Layne has an Advent page on their website, http://layneaudio.hypermart.net/Advent.htm. They do not accept email from free email services, so it's easier to write or phone. They are in the central time zone, so adjust your call. They're open 11-6 central time.

It's fun to find something from the past that's still so good, isn't it?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest russwollman

There are, I think, 2 different replacement surrounds for the "Large" Advent. I have used both.

One has a deeper roll and a narrower outer "flange" for attachment to the basket. The other has a shallower roll and a much wider outer flange, and may be designed for a variety of woofer applications.

The surround with the deeper roll is closer to the original material in design, and is, I think, easily the better of the two styles.

Though the outer flange is quite narrow, about 1/8", I had no problem centering the cone or making a secure attachment to the basket. Intuitively, this surround looks better, especially when it's cemented to the back of the cone's edge rather than the front of it and seems to provide better woofer performance.

Rick Cobb offers these surrounds and you may contact him at rcobb@tampabay.rr.com. The cement he includes seems superior, too, and his instruction sheet is pretty comprehensive.

There is only one surround for the Smaller Advent, according to Steve at Layne Audio, and I've successfully redone a pair of those woofers with the surround Rick offers for that speaker.

As for the durability of the foam, only time will tell. In any case, it's an easy project, oddly rewarding compared to all the complex nonsense required to fix other stuff. And it sure beats unloading your wallet at a stuffy audio store...

Keep those lovely Advents in full voice!

• 3 months later...

There is something else related to new foam and that is , is it leakproof.

The only foam I have found that does not leak air at high excurisions of the woofer is that made by "Simply Speakers.com"

I have a perriot vernay test cd that will go all the way down to 16 Hz and the only foam that was able to hold the air pressure in the cabinet was the simply speakers. How did I test? The woofers started to sound like a sump pump on other brands from the woofers going to their max excursion, but with the simply speakers foam they just sat there going back and forth 16 times a second giving me about 80 db of super low sounds. I';m sold. dave.

I have a pair of original advent (masonite fronts) pro refoamed with the simplyspeakers foam for sale is anyone is interested. look and perform like new. email me "www.lickness2002@yahoo.com" dave.

Archived