My new 'New Large Advent Speakers'

I had a question about the placement of the tweeter for all Advents.

Why didn't they 'mirror image' the tweeter placement. I'm not that much of a "audiophile" to care that much, but I think that it's an interesting question. Henry Kloss obviously had thought about this much more that you or I, and based on that assumption, I would conclude that he didn't think that it made that much of a difference!

Regards to all my fellow Advent afficiandos,

Craig

>

>I had a question about the placement of the tweeter for all

>Advents.

>Why didn't they 'mirror image' the tweeter placement. I'm

>not that much of a "audiophile" to care that much, but I

>think that it's an interesting question. Henry Kloss

>obviously had thought about this much more that you or I,

>and based on that assumption, I would conclude that he

>didn't think that it made that much of a difference!

>Regards to all my fellow Advent afficiandos,

>Craig

I think that the "mirror-image" concept of tweeter placement did not come into vogue until somewhat after the Advents had been designed; also, it would have cost too much to re-tool, etc., and then you would have the "left speaker," "right speaker" production and distribution problem. Besides, many people mounted Advents on bookshelves in a horizontal fashion, and this poses some slight difficulties if the tweeter is mounted differently on each speaker. Probably most important, however, is the fact that "mirror imaging" is hard to quantify with respect to performance enhancement, especially with a speaker designed with a relatively wide-dispersion tweeter. Because of this, imaging on the Advent is less significant than the smooth, balanced sound the speaker will produce throughout a listening environment.

--Tom Tyson

Archived