small advent refoaming

I'm re-foaming a small advent. Did the original small advent have the half roll foam facing inward (inverted) like the large advent loudspeaker. I looked at the advent brochures and couldn't tell from the small advent picture. It's very clear on the large woofer picture though. I received the speaker and what was left of the old foam was attached with the half roll out, but I don't know if that was the original foam. It looks like that's the way it's designed for the smaller advent?

Also, does anyone know where I can get an original small advent dust cap. They were thicker and heavier than most replacements out there. According to the literature this may have been to increase the cone weight? I was not able to remove the old one cleanly. The replacement covers the area but is very light material.

Thanks,

If you still have the old dust cap you cut off, weigh it and add the proper weight in the form of light washers or other material glued to the inside of the new dust cap. Or, for that matter, glue what you cut off to the inside of the new cap.

If you want them to look the same, just glue a new cap over the other one...that would also equalize the weight between the drivers. Might not be exactly factory spec, but they'd be the same.

Keith

• 2 months later...

>I'm re-foaming a small advent. Did the original small advent

>have the half roll foam facing inward (inverted) like the

>large advent loudspeaker. I looked at the advent brochures

>and couldn't tell from the small advent picture. It's very

>clear on the large woofer picture though. I received the

>speaker and what was left of the old foam was attached with

>the half roll out, but I don't know if that was the original

>foam. It looks like that's the way it's designed for the

>smaller advent?

I have a pair of Smaller Advents as well, also in need of refoaming :)

The half roll is extended, not inverted (at least, what's left of mine are extended)

Joe

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for your reply. That confirms what someone else told me.

They had a clear picture of the original smaller advent from the advent documentation and the roll was extended.

I also learned that you can place a much smaller dust cap over the voice coil to protect it and then replace/re-glue the original large felt dust cap back in place( at least the part that you cut out to get to the coil in order to shim) to restore it to the original look and weight.

Archived