Large Advent replacement woofers almost gone...

Sad to say, but the remaining stock of Large Advent replacement woofers is all but gone [maybe 2-3 pair left]. The “powers that be” had originally stated that they would be reproduced once the current stock ran out, but turns out that’s not going to be the case. From now on the replacement will be the similar performing AR 48 type 10” woofer mounted to a custom adapter plate. I have no idea how well this is going to work, but I’ll give it a trial run in both my NLA’s and Dahlquist DQ-10’s as soon as the adapter plates are available [mid March].

If the sound is too far off I will try and have a custom woofer produced to hopefully better duplicate the performance of the original woofers. The frames will still be standard round as having the custom frames stamped would be too expensive, but at least the sonic performance should be just as good if not better than the originals. They would also be an exact drop-in replacement for the Advent Legacy series woofers, which were themselves basically “round frame” versions of the Large Advent woofer.

• 1 month later...

Update:

LA woofers are long sold out, so we are going full steam ahead with the reproduction Large Advent woofers, which should be available in about 6 weeks. They will be a very good tonal match with the old woofers, but with a much improved and modernized magnet system. Hope to get efficiency up by at least 2dB without sacrificing any bottom end. Tooling is way too expensive to duplicate the odd size/ shape frames [~$20,000], so they will have to be built on standard 10” frames which means that an adapter plate will be required [already being made]. As a beneficial side effect, that means the new improved woofers will be drop-in replacements for the Legacy series and Maestro woofers, which were really just standard frame versions of the LA woofer. Will also be perfect for AR 2/2a/2ax where a wide range 10” is needed. Fs is going to be a good 10Hz lower than the AR replacement 10”, so that means much better low end for the AR cabinets.

Archived