Center channel speaker for The Advent Speaker

I have a pair of New Advent speakers that I have been using since I bought them in 1975. I also have a pair of similiar vintage Avids that I have been using for rear surround speakers. What I need now is a center channel speaker to use with these.

Just last week I received a set of New Ensemble Home Theatre speakers, thinking that since they were designed by Mr. Kloss, they would be comparable in sound. Well they are nice, but they are no match for the Advents. Even my wife can hear the difference, so back they go.

I've thought of buying some used smaller Advents and making a box for them, but then they wouldn't be sheilded enough to place near the TV. Has anyone had any experience finding a center channel speaker that matches the sound of the old Advents?

To solve your shielding problem if you cobble together some smaller Advents: Look in the yellow pages under metals, find someone who sells lead and get some 2mm sheet lead (sometimes called plumber's lead) and line the box with it. Work carefully and wash hands WELL after handling, the lead dust is toxic. Better yet, wear disposable gloves, *then* wash :-).

You should be well shielded at that point. Sheet steel would probably do as well.

Keith

• 3 weeks later...

You are looking for magnetic shield (actually shunt), lead will not do anything. You want steel. .060" along the inside of the speaker that will be sufficient. You only need it on the side (or bottom)that is right next to the TV, and half way up the adjacent sides.

Three or four layers of flatten steel cans (coffee, peaches, whatever) will work to.

Nigel

• 1 month later...

That's what I thought... lead is more for resonance deadening. I did find a source for shielding material though.

Now I need suggestions for drivers, as even the small old Advents will be too big,,, 6". Any suggestions for modern drivers that have a neutral coloration with good range?

Archived