ADVENT

• 2 months later...

I was looking for them and the folks at newfoam.com said they had it. I've used their foam kits several times on Geneisis and EPI speakers with very good luck. But I ended up staying with my aged Advent speaker cloth.

For an old set of Infinity I bought the cloth at my local Radio Shack and did excellent but that was black and an easy match.

• 6 months later...

Dissapointment! The cloth supplied from newfoam.com is not even close to the Advent cloth color. Weave is acceptably close, but color is off-white. In fact part of the threadind is actually bright white thread. I have requested refund.

thegrandrabbit

• 3 weeks later...

We’ve been looking for an exact Advent replacement cloth for years with ZERO luck…it’s just too odd. Basically find something as close as you can and be happy...or buy a second set just to get some good grills [what I did...and a run the speaker repair shop]. Best bet if you want to search is to start with vintage upholstery supply/ repair shops. These places sometimes have NOS bolts of fabric from the 60’s/70’s, which is exactly what you want. Won't be exact, but close is better than nothing.

People continually ask about making reproduction cloth...it won’t happen. There are at least two types [Original/ New], and loom setup charges for a custom run is at least $500 -$800 per type plus a minimum of X many bolts. The exact thread probably isn’t even available, so the finished product could be off by quite a bit. This not exact cloth would still have to sell for an insane price, and even then it would take years to sell enough to just break even.

I think you are right SLT. Since it is unlikely I can do better, I will keep my NewFoam fabric and attempt to dye it to as close as possible to original. One again, I'll update this post with results. thegrandrabbit

Have you seen www.acousticinnovations.com/grill_cloth.htm

They have 72 different colors, a couple that appear similar to the Advent's color. My guess is "desert sand". I will let you know what I discover. Their number is 800-983-6233

Archived