Newbie! KLH Model 6's

Guest jholly

Guest jholly

Hey everyone, I was recently given a pair of KLH 6's. I have always been interested in 'vintage' audio, but have never really gotten around to doing anything about it, until now!

They look to be in decent condition, and they sound pretty good to me. At the same time, I really don't know anything, so that's why I'm here!

What are some basic ways to survey the condition of the speakers? And what are some good resources for restoration/repair?

Thanks!!!

Guest special rider

Congradulations !

Great classic two-way speakers.

I have a nice pair that my father-inlaw had in his libray.

One had a blown tweeter- I found a NOS speaker at our local flea market ! they have worked great for about five years since. I have used them in several rooms , i think that they sound best with a seperate amp , about 50 watts will get them singing!

They seem to have little $$$ value- I see them on CL go unsold for $50.

Resources- Try parts express.

Enjoy

Guest matty g

Hi -

The Sixes are nice speakers for sure - if they are working then you may not need to worry about anything on them. The woofer surrounds are doped cloth, so they won't rot like foam. The only problem that they are known for is the tweeter and (more often) the crossover capacitors going bad. This will result in no sound from the high frequency driver. Put your ear up to them and flip the toggle switch in the back. You should be able to hear the high frequency sound changing with the switch. If no change in the sound or if they sound dull and muddy, check back with this forum for all the help you need.

Congrats on your Model Sixes and welcome to a great place to learn about them!

Matt

>Hey everyone, I was recently given a pair of KLH 6's. I have

>always been interested in 'vintage' audio, but have never

>really gotten around to doing anything about it, until now!

>

>They look to be in decent condition, and they sound pretty

>good to me. At the same time, I really don't know anything, so

>that's why I'm here!

>

>What are some basic ways to survey the condition of the

>speakers? And what are some good resources for

>restoration/repair?

>

>Thanks!!!

Insofar as the cabinet restoration is concerned, I'm afraid I can't help you there except to suggest you learn techniques of wood finishing. Just be careful to protect the drivers from any chemicals such as stain or linseed oil or from dust such as from sandpapering. This can be done by taping plastic sheeting over the grill cloth while you work.

As far as the speaker's functionality is concerned, how easy or difficult it will be to make any repairs if necessary will depend on when and how the speaker was manufactured. Production began in 1958 and ended in 1972 and during that time, there was a world of change in the method of manufacture. The earliest units (I've got one pair of those myself) are the hardest because the woofers and tweeters were "epoxied" into the baffleboard. It is virtually impossible to remove the drivers for repair without using a saw, no kidding. The woofer actually didn't have an outer metal frame, it was epoxied right to the front baffleboard. There are some photos in the archives, I think maybe Tom posted them. Also, the grill cloth was not removable and would have to be sacrificed by cutting it away if you have to get to the front of the baffleboard. You'd have to fabricate a replacement out of masonite, open weave cloth and some velcro. Later they came that way and so they were removable by just carefully prying them off. Later the tweeters were screwed in (I've got one of that era) and finally the woofer had a full metal frame and was also screwed in (I've got one from that era.) For proper operation, when repairs are done the box must be air tight or the bass will not be up to its design capabilities. The most common problems are a bad capacitor which renders the tweeter inoperative and a porous woofer surround. If the tweeter can be unscrewed, the capacitor can be replaced with a single 8 microfarad 100 volt non polarized electrolytic capacitor (probably around 50 cents at parts express.) Be very careful to cut the wire to the tweeter far enough away so that heat from a soldering iron doesn't damage the tweeter voice coil wires, they are extremely thin and fragile. I would not recommend soldering directly to the tweeter terminals if you can help it. If you can unscrew the tweeter and yours in like one of mine, you can pull the capacitor through the opening or if you have to, work through it. A cheap dental mirror allows inspection of the inside of the cabinet. As for the woofer surround, it is cloth and will not rot like foam but a dopant was applied when it was new to make it air tight. Over the years that may no longer be the case. Others have tried various concoctions but anything which stiffens the cloth will compromise the bass. I'd use a material specifically intended for this purpos, XL-49 from Orange County Speaker Company 800-897-8373 and 714-554-8520. Last time I checked, enough for two speakers was around $10. If you need a new tweeter, they can often be bought on e-bay as there were many manufactured and used not only in model 6 but in 17, 5, 12 and others. No other tweeter is a satisfactory substitute. When properly functioning, KLH model 6 was one of the most highly regarded speakers of its day and with a suggested list price of about $134 each, an exceptional value. Good luck.

Archived