KLH Model Forty - Looking for parts 1/4 inch (capstan)

Guest n8tron

Guest n8tron

I have this old KLH Model Forty that I want to try and get working, however it is missing one of the capstans. I'm not even sure where to start in looking, but I'm in the Los Angeles area. Any help is appreciated.

Guest matty g

Hi -

I no longer have the parts for those machines, but if I may offer a little advice.... The electronics on those machines were VERY problematic. I have never come across one that electronically functions, nor can I find anyone who knows of one that does. If yours does record and play properly then you are one of the lucky few, however if the circuit board is giving you trouble I would see if that can be brought up to snuff before seeking out any mechanical parts. I have had a number of the "improved" model forty one units come across my workbench and haven't found one that could be repaired yet. Mechanically they have all been in like new condition, wich leads me to believe that they have broken down early on in life. I have been informed that the model forty was even more trouble than the model forty one. Those units were built by Nakamichi for KLH, but it is my understanding that this venture did not work out very well and that the decks were a headache for all involved. That being said, you might try eBay for a parts unit, but they rarely show up as most people have given up on them. Probably the ONLY piece of KLH equipment that may not be worth the trouble.

Matt

Archived