KLH Model23's Years of production

day67

Thanks Mat and Andy for your info on the model 5 woofers. So, the 5's and 23's would be identified by the large square magnets (beside the number "24" on the cones), is that right? Also, during what years were the 23's produced?? As said, a great forum, especially if you are a novice. Thanks.

The weight written on the cones of models 5 and 23 does vary, 24.5, 23.3, etc. depending on the actual weight of the cone. Every magnet I've seen on the model 5 and 23 is a large square type.

Production of the model 23 was 1968-72 and they sold for about $160 each. They are not seen nearly as often as models 17,20 or 6. I'm a big fan of the 23, it's got the robust woofer and same size cabinet as the model 5 and I think they put out exellent sound. They often sell for much less money on ebay compared to the model 5 which have been really pricy recently.

I'll repeat a funny story about the Model 23 posted by Steve F. a couple of years ago; At an early 1970's meeting of the Boston Audio Society, Victor Campos of KLH was a guest. He was recalling how the 23 came to be. Seems KLH wanted to fill a price point between he model 5 and 6. Campos went to Henry Kloss and said, "So Henry, what do you want me to do, f*** up the model 5" ?

"Yeah Victor, f*** up the model 5."

• 2 weeks later...

Archived