Info on KLH Model Ten speakers

Guest klhguitar

Guest klhguitar

Hi,

Would appreciate any information anyone can provide about the KLH Model Ten speakers I acquired recently. When were they made, what is current value? Surfing around Google, eBay, etc. I see very little references to these KLH Model Ten speakers. Noticed a lot about Model 6, Model 8, etc. Why so little about the Model Ten's? THANKS!!

The KLH Model Ten was introduced in late 1962 or early 1963 and as far I can tell, only made for a year or two. Price; unfinished $86. mahogany, $89. walnut, $94. It was the company's first smaller lighter loudspeaker with a ten inch woofer. Models 17,20,33 were to follow in the years to come. The Model Ten stands out being a vented speaker (most KLH are the sealed acoustic suspension type).

The following is an excerpt from the October, 1963 High Fidelity Magazine review; "Response of the model 10 was found to be smoothest yet encountered, with no peaks or dips across it's range. The bass was still clean at 45 cps, and just seemed to drop out at 40 cps. There was virtually no audible signs of distrorion or frequency doubling even when the speaker was driven "very hard". The mid-range was outstandingly smooth. The Model 10 is one of clean, eminently musical sound - a sound which would be very easy to live with."

You don't see that many Model 10's these days, I think production was pretty limited. As I mentioned, it paved the way for the models 17,20,33...which were smaller lighter speakers then the models 5,6, 23. Historically, the model ten is a rather hard to find, key loudspeaker for KLH that does not get talked about very often...a keeper in my eyes.

When KLH made the model 10, they were still a fairly small independent company. They were purchased in 1964 by Singer and then moved into national awareness.

• 3 months later...
Guest rtbarr

I recently found a pair of these speakers also. Their seems to be some confusion because KLH later sold several different speakers under the name KLH Research Model Ten speaker. I believe one of these models is pictured in the library section of these Classic Speaker Pages as it has a ribbon type super tweeter.

My speaker seems to be early 1960's vintage. I have read the other posts, and it does not seem to match the description very well. It is not mahogany or walnut. Perhaps the original owner bought an unfinished version and finished it very professionally. Mine appears to be birch veneer over nice particle board. The speaker grill fabric is an unusual bright cream color that may have originally been truly white. The grill is held on by some white/cream vinyl looking trim, and I don't see a non-destructive way to remove it and get a look at the drivers. Only one speaker still has a logo, and it is mounted horizontally along one of the long sides, as if they were made to lie long-wise on a shelf.

RT Barr

If you can post a photo, that would be great. It sounds like the circa 1962 Model Ten (in no way related to the Research Ten of the late 1970s). They did come in a unfinished cabinet, $86. each. Size should be 23 1/8 x 11 7/8 x 8 3/4 inches. The serial number should be on the low size since production was limited compared to other models, maybe a number less 25,000 or lower ?

I do rememnber a odd looking white trim on these, like no other KLH loudspeaker.

Andy-

Archived