Model Twenty Grounding

Guest bruhl

Hello Folks,

My model 20 uses a single antenna wire and often the FM reception has quite a bit of static in it. Basically not listenable like that. Moving the whole Model 20 unit around can cause hi and lows in the static sound, even silence. I find if I touch the connection to the antenna it improves 100% and reception is just about perfect. I think I am "grounding" it at that point, but I am not sure.

Any suggestions as to how I can fix that so I don't have to give up and use another receiver?

Oh yes, the unit has a two prong plug without the extra ground feature.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Mike

Guest matty g

Mike-

Your Model Twenty requires a two wire antenna- either a dipole (T-shaped flat wire with two leads on it) or a decent indoor FM antenna such as a Terk or other reputable brand. The dipole antenna is the most common and you can find them at Radio Shack for a couple of bucks. The receiver in that unit is, as you know, very sensitive and an indoor antenna should do quite well. Both antenna terminals should be connected to the antenna wires, though.

If you use a roof antenna, the 300 ohm (flat 2 conductor) wire can be connected directly to the back of the set. If you have the 75 ohm(round coaxial) wire then use a 75 to 300 ohm adaptor. This should solve your reception problem. Don't ground the set- the non polarized two prong plug is correct for that unit. Don't mistake the antenna "ground" connections for the chassis ground- which you shouldnt't have to worry about as the Garrard changer is grounded to the chassis internally. Grounding the set to the electrical supply is not a good idea, as it may cause hum/ground looping. Hope this helps

Matt

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the grounding and antenna information in your reply. I'll stop at Radio Shack and get a dipole to start with. Then I'll decide how that works. I suspect it will be fine.

Thanks again for all your information.

Mike

Hello Matt,

I wanted to let you know that I put a dipole antenna on the Model Twenty, and it is now perfect. Stunning change from what it was.

Stations are pulled in clear and static free. Plus there is no more of the frequent broken connection that I had before. This dipole was a quick and dramatic change.

Thanks for taking the time to point me in the right direction. The Model Twenty is much happier in it's like new condition also.

Best regards, Matt.

Mike

Archived