Double Model 6

Guest nolanpk

Guest nolanpk

Hello Group,

Has anyone tried Double Model 6's? I have enjoyed Double Advents for about ten years, and just recently bought four Model 6 on ebay. Any input on which is the best way to couple Model 6's? Thanks in advance for your response.

Pat

• 5 weeks later...
Guest nolanpk

Hello group. I decided to respond to my own inquiry. I got my second pair of Model 6's. So far, I have only tried setting them side by side on the floor, aimed in slightly to my sitting position. I sit about 9' away from them. The speakers on each side are butted flush up to each other. The most noticeable difference is that they really sum a lot at 80hz, which colors the low end, and makes some notes in that region louder than others. There is also a diffused sound to the top end. I hate to say it, but I think they sound better with just one pair. They don't get as loud, but they sound tighter with more definition. I will try some other arrangements, like stacking tweeter to tweeter, and let you know. Feel free to weigh in at any time. Thanks.

Pat

>Hello group. I decided to respond to my own inquiry. I got my

>second pair of Model 6's. So far, I have only tried setting

>them side by side on the floor, aimed in slightly to my

>sitting position. I sit about 9' away from them. The speakers

>on each side are butted flush up to each other. The most

>noticeable difference is that they really sum a lot at 80hz,

>which colors the low end, and makes some notes in that region

>louder than others. There is also a diffused sound to the top

>end. I hate to say it, but I think they sound better with just

>one pair. They don't get as loud, but they sound tighter with

>more definition. I will try some other arrangements, like

>stacking tweeter to tweeter, and let you know. Feel free to

>weigh in at any time. Thanks.

>

>Pat

Hi Pat;

The choice postion, in my opinion is, the lower cabinet pair woofers on the bottom but the cabinets at least 10 - 12" off of the floor on a stand.

A building block, with carpet or similar soft and protective padding and an insulator between the cabinets as well.

Perhaps canted slightly towards you.

The upper pair woofers on top, with the tweeters now close together.

Tweeters should be about ear level when in your favourite sitting position.

Fusing is suggested, to protect your irreplaceble investment.

Speakers sitting on or close to the floor tend to boost the bass, not a good thing for hifi.

>Hello group. I decided to respond to my own inquiry. I got my

>second pair of Model 6's. So far, I have only tried setting

>them side by side on the floor, aimed in slightly to my

>sitting position. I sit about 9' away from them. The speakers

>on each side are butted flush up to each other. The most

>noticeable difference is that they really sum a lot at 80hz,

>which colors the low end, and makes some notes in that region

>louder than others. There is also a diffused sound to the top

>end. I hate to say it, but I think they sound better with just

>one pair. They don't get as loud, but they sound tighter with

>more definition. I will try some other arrangements, like

>stacking tweeter to tweeter, and let you know. Feel free to

>weigh in at any time. Thanks.

>

>Pat

Try stacking the four KLH Sixes vertically, rather than side-by-side. Stack the bottom Six woofer-down, but about 1-2 feet *above* the floor, and the top Six with the woofer in the upper position. It is critical to get both speakers off the floor. Vertical stacking puts the tweeters closer together and the woofers at top and bottom. The woofers should add 2-3 dB of more bass output (but not deeper) that is cleaner with lower distortion (the woofers have half as much work to do for the same output), avoiding the very heavy "mutual-radiation-impedance" effect by placing them side-by-side on the floor. Floor placement is ugly and further complicates the bass output by emphasizing the mid-bass frequencies starting around 80 Hz, as you noticed. Sid-by-side placement is also bad in that you get all sorts of unwanted acoustical anaomolies, such as diffraction due to the wide baffle front presented by the two speakers. KLH use to show the KLH Six on the floor in their ads, but that was done to offset the slightly over-damped nature of the woofer. It is always better to use tone controls or equalizer to correct that problem, rather than putting them closer to the floor.

You can experiment with toeing them in somewhat, but this is unnecessary for the most part due to the Sixes' good dispersion. Again, keep the speakers well up off the floor. You should experiment with placing the speakers close to or away from the front wall; generally, it is best for that type of speaker to be placed approximately one foot out from the wall rather than several feet well out into the room. You can try putting them in the corners, but that greatly increases (another 3 dB) relative bass response, and the speakers could get quite bass-heavy. If possible, place the speakers along the "long" wall in the room, rather than the "short" wall. This tends to reduce unwanted resonances, but will also attenuate the low frequencies somewhat (which would be largely offset by the vertical placement of two Sixes on each stereo channel).

--Tom Tyson

• 2 weeks later...
Guest nolanpk

Thanks for the great responses. You were absolutely right. I tried vertical stacking with tweeters coupled. I regained the tight definition that I enjoyed with the single pair, and happily maintained the increased output. I have them stacked on the long wall, canted in to my center listening position. I am having a great time listening to them now. I am going to re-stack my Advents now. I have them stacked in line array fashion ( on their sides, side by side ). My experience has been flying large arrays of multiple tri-amped speakers for venues of 5,000 to 70,000 people. We always tried to couple drivers of the same bandwidth as much as possible, with the exception of the radial horns, which get really squirrelly if they are coupled horizontally. It seems that the principles are applied a little differently when you are using only two speakers per side, with dome tweeters. I appreciate the learning experience. Thank you.

Pat

Archived