Found single Model 32 Help

Guest BassMan99

Guest BassMan99

Hi All,

I have been lurking for a long time. Just found a single KLH model 32 and registered. Hoping this very knowledgeable group can help.

First this model 32 appears to be working great. It sounds very good. From the pictures I have been able to find online the woofer appears to be original. The Tweeter looks different. There is no cloth and wire covering at all. Looks like a regular 3" or so tweeter of this era. S/N is BS3223244

Was there a model 32 without the cloth covering on the tweeter? ANy idea waht year this one is?

Lastly if anyone has a single model 32 let me know.

Thank you,

Dean

Guest BassMan99

Thanks Andy,

I am thinking this year they did not have the mesh cover over the tweeter. It sure looks all original. I am hoping to find a match, or maybe a pair with a bad speake in it etc.

>The Model 32 production dates to 1971-75. Basically the same

>formula as the models 22,24,26,31 with a 8" woofer. They

>were $140 a pair when new. For a smaller speaker, they

>performed well and are durable.

I bought my pair of 32s in St. Louis Missouri in the summer of 71. The first album I played on them was "Peacful World" by the Rascals. Dynaco amp, Dual turntable, Ortofon cartridge. When I took them to college, I played them very loud from time to time, but played them every day for hours at 1/4. They had a standard paper cone pheneloc (sp) ring tweeter that was mechanically dampened with fiberglass insulation held in place with rabbit cage wire mesh screening. Henry did a lot of hardware store designing. I paid $99 for my pair, that came in one box. I used them with and without the "filters" and always thought that for most listening, the rolloff from the highs that the paper cone tweets just couldn't make, was a good idea. They are still on the speakers, which still work and are used in a guest room in my parent's home in Maine. Every time I visit, I visit my old 32s too!

Archived