Anybody have pics of the original KLH model 1?

Guest centaurus

Guest centaurus

hi all,

i've never seen a pair of original KLH Model 1's with janszen 130 panels installed in the cabinets.

anybody have some pics or even a pair of the speakers themselves? how do they sound compared to the Ar1/janszen 130 combo?

thanks,

Robby

Sorry, I don't have a photo, but can provide the following; The Model One had two 12 inch woofers, cabinet is 38 x 25 x 16 inches. The size of the compartment for the high frequency unit was 7 1/2 x 23 1/2 x 14 1/2 inches. ( to house the Janzen 130 or a KLH Model Five 3 speaker mid & high frequency unit).

The Model One had clean output down to 27 cps, thats serious bass!

Not many of these were made because in March 1958 KLH introduced the Model Six for about 1/3 of the price of the Model One and it was a fantastic speaker which became very popular. I think only a few thousand Model Ones were made ?

>hi all,

>

>i've never seen a pair of original KLH Model 1's with janszen

>130 panels installed in the cabinets.

>

>anybody have some pics or even a pair of the speakers

>themselves? how do they sound compared to the Ar1/janszen 130

>combo?

>

>thanks,

>Robby

Robby,

I believe that the KLH Model One was quite rare, and probably not many were ever manufactured. I once recall seeing one at a KLH dealer, but they were expensive and not many were sold to my knowledge.

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/dc/user_files/1336.jpg

KLH Model Two Woofer System (very similar to the Model One)

Specifications on the Model One:

Dual-woofer system with compartment for KLH Model Five (not the newer full-range Model Five) tweeter system or JansZen electrostatic tweeter. Dimensions: 38" high by 25" wide by 16" deep. Price: Mahogany or Birch, $378 each; Walnut $390 each; unfinished in dull black, without tweeter compartment, $366 each. The Model One with dual 12-inch acoustic-suspension woofers had response from 1000 Hz down to around 35 Hz, with some output around 20 Hz.

Compared to the AR-1/JansZen combination, the Model One was probably every bit as good as the AR, with possibly more power-handling in the low bass. Single-woofer KLHs were known to be a notch below the AR speakers in distortion and flatness, but this model with its two 12-inch woofers probably was at least the equal of the AR-1 combination. The high cost was the problem.

--Tom Tyson

Most of the info is has already been covered, but this post of mine from 3-1-03 might fill in a detail or two:

Steve F Sat Mar-01-03 04:52 PM

Member since Sep 27th 2002

277 posts

#6. "RE: First KLH Speakers"

In response to Reply # 4

Anyway, here is the info on the very first KLH speakers from 1957-58, the Models ONE, TWO, THREE, FOUR, and FIVE.

ONE:

A sealed box using two 32-ohm 12-inch woofers in parallel (16-ohm system), with dimensions of 38 x 25 x 16" HWD. This was a woofer-midrange system only, with the treble handled by an external unit, such as KLH’s own or the Janzen electrostatic. The price was $390 ea. in walnut—incredibly expensive in 1957 dollars, considering that the AR-3 was $225 ea. for a FULL-RANGE system.

TWO:

Another woofer-midrange system, but smaller and less expensive than the ONE. A 12" woofer in a cabinet measuring 21.5 x 25 x 12" HWD. The cabinet was horizontally-oriented, with 6" tall legs at each corner. A real cold-war/1950’s-looking piece. List was $206 in walnut.

THREE:

Still another woofer-midrange system. Same internal volume as the TWO (1.5 cu. Ft.), but a traditional bookshelf enclosure, without legs. Dimensions were 13.5 x 25 x 12" HWD, and list was $181 ea. in walnut.

FOUR:

A full-range speaker system in the same enclosure as the THREE, but with a small cone tweeter (actual size of tweeter not given in literature). The HF level could be adjusted between 1.5kHz and 6kHz, and also above 6kHz. The range of adjustment was 5dB in both ranges.

FIVE:

No, this is NOT the KLH-5 that we all know so well—-the excellent 12" 3-way bookshelf that was the 3a’s direct competitor in the late 1960’s.

Instead, this MODEL FIVE was a multiple tweeter array using three cone tweeters that was designed "specifically to be used with KLH Models One, Two, and Three. The Model Five is a two-way system covering the range from 1500-20,000 cycles per second, using three direct-radiator speakers in a divergent array."

It measured 7 x 23 x 6" HWD, and slid into a space allotted for it behind the grille in the models One and Two. It could be placed on top of the Three if that speaker were used horizontally. It was available in a utility black finish only, since it would normally not be in view when used with the One and Two. List price was $100 ea.

What an unusual collection of products, to say the least, with which Henry Kloss chose to begin his company! The absolutely conventional—and superb—KLH-6 followed in 1959, and from that point on, the company became a true force in the US speaker industry.

Steve F.

>Most of the info is has already been covered, but this post

>of mine from 3-1-03 might fill in a detail or two:

>

>

>Steve F Sat Mar-01-03 04:52 PM

>Member since Sep 27th 2002

>277 posts

>

>#6. "RE: First KLH Speakers"

>In response to Reply # 4

>

>

>Anyway, here is the info on the very first KLH speakers from

>1957-58, the Models ONE, TWO, THREE, FOUR, and FIVE.

>

>ONE:

>A sealed box using two 32-ohm 12-inch woofers in parallel

>(16-ohm system), with dimensions of 38 x 25 x 16" HWD.

>This was a woofer-midrange system only, with the treble

>handled by an external unit, such as KLH’s own or the Janzen

>electrostatic. The price was $390 ea. in walnut—incredibly

>expensive in 1957 dollars, considering that the AR-3 was $225

>ea. for a FULL-RANGE system.

>

>TWO:

>Another woofer-midrange system, but smaller and less expensive

>than the ONE. A 12" woofer in a cabinet measuring 21.5 x

>25 x 12" HWD. The cabinet was horizontally-oriented, with

>6" tall legs at each corner. A real

>cold-war/1950’s-looking piece. List was $206 in walnut.

>

>THREE:

>Still another woofer-midrange system. Same internal volume as

>the TWO (1.5 cu. Ft.), but a traditional bookshelf enclosure,

>without legs. Dimensions were 13.5 x 25 x 12" HWD, and

>list was $181 ea. in walnut.

>

>FOUR:

>A full-range speaker system in the same enclosure as the

>THREE, but with a small cone tweeter (actual size of tweeter

>not given in literature). The HF level could be adjusted

>between 1.5kHz and 6kHz, and also above 6kHz. The range of

>adjustment was 5dB in both ranges.

>

>FIVE:

>No, this is NOT the KLH-5 that we all know so well—-the

>excellent 12" 3-way bookshelf that was the 3a’s direct

>competitor in the late 1960’s.

>

>Instead, this MODEL FIVE was a multiple tweeter array using

>three cone tweeters that was designed "specifically to be

>used with KLH Models One, Two, and Three. The Model Five is a

>two-way system covering the range from 1500-20,000 cycles per

>second, using three direct-radiator speakers in a divergent

>array."

>

>It measured 7 x 23 x 6" HWD, and slid into a space

>allotted for it behind the grille in the models One and Two.

>It could be placed on top of the Three if that speaker were

>used horizontally. It was available in a utility black finish

>only, since it would normally not be in view when used with

>the One and Two. List price was $100 ea.

>

>What an unusual collection of products, to say the least, with

>which Henry Kloss chose to begin his company! The absolutely

>conventional—and superb—KLH-6 followed in 1959, and from that

>point on, the company became a true force in the US speaker

>industry.

>

>Steve F.

Note that in Steve's excellent and factual message (except for one minor infraction is his last paragraph), he correctly refers to the early KLHs by writing out the numbers. For example, the "KLH-6" is actually KLH Model Six; "4" is KLH Model Four, and so forth. This early nomenclature was another way Henry Kloss chose to differentiate his company's products, and this process changed somewhere later (and well-after KLH lost its way) in the model runs after the KLH Model Twelve.

--Tom Tyson

Guest centaurus

wow, thanks for all the info! i was curious about it as it uses janszen panels with a dynamic woofer.

hopefully, i'll be able to report the progress on my set up soon.

i have a pair of janszen Z-600s. two electrostatic panels per cabinet and a 10 inch janszen 350B woofer. unfortunatly, after replacing every single cap, resistor and diode possible, one channel's panels still barely work. i've swapped the panels with the working cabinet and it's not the panels.

anyway, the reason i call them "poor man's" AR1/janszen combos is because i have a pair of early alnico AR2 woofers in place of the janszen woofer. fits right in and with some added fibreglass, the bass response is simply amazing!

see ya,

Robby

• 6 months later...

Yes. I have Model Ones serial #'s 0520 & 0530. Also have Model Fives serial #'s 0161 & 0053 and a pair of JansZen 1-30U tweeter arrays. Of course, either of these units slide onto a shelf in the upper portion, through the back. I prefer the JansZen's, by far. The two 12" woofers in each Model One don't sound bad together, but in my limited experience, I have heard better...but not in the sense of sheer "largeness". It is very comfortable to listen to just one Model One/JansZen combo in mono. After all, they were built before the day of two-channel stereo.

I also have a pair of JansZen 65's.

I also have just one JansZen 1-30 in the finished wood cabinet. LOOKING FOR A MATCH FOR THIS ONE!!

All of these units are near mint, the JansZen's operating correctly.

Any help locating a match for my teak wood JansZen 1-30 would be extremely appreciated!

Enjoy the attached; Model Ones, Fives & JansZen's.

Matt

post-102215-1166874357.jpg

post-4-1166874357.jpg

Archived