Baruch-Lang High-Fidelity Loudspeaker -- Henry Kloss

Andy

When Ed Villchur was approached in late-1953-early 1954 by Henry Kloss (a student in one of Villchur's audio classes at NYU) about the acoustic-suspension design that Villchur had described to his students, a friendship began that ultimately led to the co-founding of Acoustic Research in August, 1954. At that time Kloss was assembling and selling by mail-order a speaker (designed by student engineers at MIT) known as the Baruch-Lang High Fidelity Loudspeaker. Kloss sold this speaker on a mail-order basis until the founding of AR, and the space used to produce the Baruch-Lang speakers was then dedicated to producing the AR-1 speaker. Shortly afterwards, the company moved to the 24 Thorndike Street location. Kloss left Acoustic Research (AR) in early 1957, and in 1958 (with Malcolm Low and Anton Hofman) Kloss formed KLH Research and Development Company.

The attached image shows an early (and perhaps only) advertisement for the Baruch-Lang speaker.

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/dc/user_files/993.pdf

--Tom Tyson

>I'll post a photo soon, but at this time my digital camera is

>not working, only my 1957 Rolliflex film camera is working.

>Technology !!

Andy, why don't you take a picture with your Rolliflex and then scan the image into your computer, and then you can convert it to a pdf of jpeg file to download here for our enjoyment and pleasure. Does this sound like, "what have you done for me lately?" It would be easier with a digital camera, naturally, but one has to make do with the available equipment. Another problem, you might not have a scanner, etc.

--Tom Tyson

Archived