Model 5 Repair?

Guest nobody020

Guest nobody020

Hi,

I just bought pair of KLH Model 5s.. Hooked them up and then discovered that one of my tweeters is nonfunctional. During the moving process, some jackass in my house "hefted" the speaker a few times, so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Anyway, I'm looking for a replacement tweeter or some help with repairing the speaker -- I've never done any type of speaker work before and don't know how to start (but I'm not too shabby with electronics in general).

Would appreciate any information and help.

>Hi,

>

>I just bought pair of KLH Model 5s.. Hooked them up and then

>discovered that one of my tweeters is nonfunctional. During

>the moving process, some jackass in my house "hefted" the

>speaker a few times, so I'm not sure if that has anything to

>do with it.

>

>Anyway, I'm looking for a replacement tweeter or some help

>with repairing the speaker -- I've never done any type of

>speaker work before and don't know how to start (but I'm not

>too shabby with electronics in general).

>

>Would appreciate any information and help.

Hi there;

I'm not sure what the word "hefted" means?

I am not that familiar with KLH speakers.

Do you mean the tweeter on one side or in one enclosure, as the Fives each have 2 tweeters?

Do they have pots or switches on the rear of the enclosures?

If there are pots turns them up and down to clean their contacts or change the switch position to bright or high.

Let us know as to these results and we'll continue on from there.

Good luck with these great speakers.

Hi,

I had a similar situation.......when I got my Model 5's, one of the tweeters was not operating. I did a "search" here and discovered that in most cases, the crossover is at fault, and not that the tweeter is dead. I was going to replace the capacitors, but I found a crossover for $30, popped it in, and now the tweeter works perfectly.

Do a search........also, the library has schematics of the crossover if you wish to replace the faulty caps.

Hope this helps..........the Model 5's are great looking and sounding speakers. ;)

PS: Here's one link.......there are more.

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/dc/dcbo...ing_type=search

• 2 months later...
Guest thebluecrocodile

This post is pretty late after the fact and may not matter anymore but just in case it does, there are two main possibile causes of this problem. 1) The voice coil in the tweeter could be open (or perhaps a connection to the tweeter) 2) You could have an open cap in the crossover. Pull the tweeter out and test it. The best way to do this is to hook it up to a function generator (remembering that low frequency is not too good for tweeters). If you don't have one, just use whatever you have (stereo (keep the amplitude low and the duration of the test as short as possible)). If the speaker is good pull out the crossover and replace all of the caps. There is no need to test which one is bad. Caps are cheap and all of the ones in the crossover are old electrolytics which are going to fail soon anyway. Use polypropelene caps unless you can't find them or think they are too expensive. If you choose to use electrolytics, use the highest reasonable voltage rating and make they sure are non-polar (polar caps will not work in this application). The inductors are almost always fine. This takes care of the problem a very good portion of the time. Good luck.

Archived