KHL 20

Guest Sandra Jorgensen

Guest Sandra Jorgensen

I have owned a model 20 system for the last 30+ years. I am still using the speakers. They still sound good to me. However, I want to replace the grill cloth. I found sources for replacement cloth on the internet. It seems simple, yet I do not want to damage the seasoned walnut finish. There must be someone who has replaced the grill cloth on model 20 speakers. I could really use some assistance.

Thanks

Sandy

The KLH 20 speaker seems to be similar or identical to the model 17 loudspeaker system. In that system, the grill cloth is attached to a piece of masonite which is held to the front baffleboard with several pieces of velcro. If this is the case, all that is required is to carefully insert a tool betwen the inside of the walnut molding and the masonite and gently pry it away in several places. All that is required once the new grillcloth is monunted on the masonite is to replace it and gently press it into place. Be careful not to damage the speaker cones or surrounds. BTW, if there is a metal insignia plate on the front, remove that first. They usually just unscrew. Good luck.

I don't actually own this loudspeaker although I've had many friends including my college roomate who owned the model 17 which I hold in high regard and have recommended years ago as an outstanding loudspeaker at a very low cost. The last speaker system I replaced the grill cloth on, AR9 had a removable wooden board and I used a staple gun. I chose my fabric at a fabric store. I looked for material which was visually opaque but acoustically transparent. I chose from relatively sheer open weaves which I could see fairly well through. I determined its acoustic transparancy by rubbing my fingers together gently with and without the cloth over my ear. When I found one where I could not hear a difference, I decided that would be fine. This gave me a much wider selection and a lower price than buying "grill cloth" from some audio parts dealer. You can of course use any method of attachment you like. Just be sure if you use glue that it is completely cured before you replace the board so it does not drip and get on the cones or surrounds. BTW, since you have never had the grillcloth off before, when you do remove it, be sure to use the opportunity to carefully visually inspect the drivers. Because KLH used cloth surrounds and not foam on its woofers, there should be no sign of rot or deterioration. However, if bass output seems reduced compared to its original performance, the dopant used to seal the cloth may have dried out. AB Tech and Orange County Speaker both sell a liquid material for under $10 I think which can be applied to restore them if necessary. Unfortunately for me, when its my KLH model 6's turn, mine which are an early version do not have removable grill cloths and they will have to be sacrificed. But after about 39 years, they still seem ok.

It's definately worth sprucing up a model 20 system, it was KLH's top system at $400 with 50 watts IHF peak music power at about 1% harmonic distortion. I played my 20 system for a audio snob friend of mine...a guy who will spend $2000 on a McIntosch tube amplifier. He was very impressed with the sound quality of this KLH.

The above advice about grill cloth repacement sounds good to me......I would use a staple gun to attach the cloth to the board, glue can be so hard to remove in a future replacement.

The velcro attached grill along with front mounted speakers was the best change klh made, servicing was now easily done. Prior to 1962 KLH speakers were poxied in (no screws to remove the speaker) plus the grill cloth was glued on.

Archived