KLH 23s at thrift store - find or no?

Guest robobxman

Guest robobxman

I am new into vintage audio, but learning every day. Today at the thrift there was a pair of model 23s and, based on the fact that they were manufactured in Cambridge MA, and their heft, I figured they were worth researching. Are these known for great sound like the other well known models eg the model 6? The woofers and tweeters were intact, but the cabinets were in pretty rough shape, and, to be honest, they were ugly too (but that's part of the charm of these old units). Anyway, I didn't think they were worth the $40 being asked, but figured I'd post the questions anyway. thanks.

I'm pretty sure the model 23 was a upscale version of the model 6. Circa 1968-72. By the late sixties the model 6 had been on the market for ten years and KLH put the model 6 hardware in a fancier cabinet (though I'm not 100% sure) . Should be a nice sounding speaker which would have been over $250 a pair when new.

Guest dbradley

Find!!!!! I think speakers are largely personal hearing preference. One person may like them and another may not and neither is wrong. The 23's are two-way speakers and some thought the midrange was light. Personally, I always turn up the treble and bass on a system, so a light midrange is a perfect fit for me. I own a pair of 23's and I like them - a little more bass than the 17's, which were great. If the condition of the cabinets bothers you, they can be taken to a furniture refinsher. Ask any decorator to whom they would take a fine piece of solid walnut furniture. My son damaged mine and I am about to do that myself. You should make sure you know for a fact that the speakers are working well because parts are very hard/impossible to come by. But if they are working well, $40 is an absolute steal! Run back to the store and grab them - either that or give me the address. You can always refinish them and sell them. No one has made cabinets like that for thirty years and the cabinet, like a sounding board on a piano, is a huge contributor to the sound.

Archived