Dual KLH Model Six speakers VS Dual Large Advent speakers

Guest SPS 700

Guest SPS 700

In the 70's there was a bunch of articles and advertisements on the virtues of a dual or stacked system consisting of four Large Advents. Almost 30 years after the fact I am the proud owner of two sets of Large Advents and two sets of KLH 6's. For the basis of a test I have set up a double Large Avent system and a double KLH Model Six system. Both have identical receivers powering them: 2 Pioneer SX-780's, alowing for instant AB testing. I find the Large Avents to have an edge on the bass and sound volume the KLH Model Six's have better reproduction of the nuances of the music for the lack of better word. They are totally awsome when all 8 speakers and 180 watts total are playing the same music at once. Any comments, observations or criticisms are welcome.

Guest rickcee

Hi have fun. I'll just say the spks are 30 years old, more or less, and who knows about aging - Advent surround replacement somewhat close to orig. specs ? ? KLH cloth surrounds still stable ? ( I covered the cloth on my KLH 17 with thin layer of kids rubber cement, think it helped bass with acoustic seal. who knows ?)

Guest russwollman

It was way back when I fell for a certain KLH model, either the 6 or the 33...I forget. The sound was sweet, and I wanted them.

But years later I have a double Advent system (new surrounds, upgraded tweeters and caps from Layne Audio), and there I'll rest for a while. It's perfectly satisfying. I drive them with a NAD 2600 (150w/ch) and a NAD 1700 preamp/tuner (which made a big difference over the newer NAD C740 receiver I'd been using as a preamp).

I tried hard to like a pair of AR3a's (AR was a very fine company) but they didn't have the Advent's clarity or impact. The Advents deliver: they let me feel the power of the orchestra.

I sold a pair of Linn Tukans and an expensive Velodyne sub in favor of the fixer-upper Advents. And at the snooty audio store I heard some Martin Logans. When I arrived back home to the Advents, I missed the Logans not at all. No more high-end audio for me, ever.

The Advents are a study in remarkable simplicity. I even enjoy reading the original promotional material. It just makes such good sense and is written in a wonderfully frank, congenial, and even warm style.

Guest russwollman

...the only thing is, it's an awful lot of stuff. I have a couple of CD players and a tape deck and then there's the system in my bedroom which includes a pair of 5012s and a pair of Boston A40s (very nice little boxes) and the system in my shop with its Smaller Advents and receiver and CD changer and all those wires and cables and gizmos and, and, and...

Sometimes I get the feeling I don't own anything. The stuff sometimes owns ME ;-)

Guest rickcee

Hi I liked the looks of KLH and advents from back when -really like the somewhat taller proportions and quality veneer of KLH 17, for a cheapo spk !- call me a snob, I won't have 'vinyl' coffee table, bookshelves, OR spks.

in my living room rt now I have AR 302 (late '90's - Dynaco 40 w. amp) and KLH 17 and My main spks , Koss 1020 from '78. with NAD 80 w ch AV reciever, once in a while drag out old mid '70's Sansui reciever, which looks much better and has a better tuner. Enjoy Rick

• 2 months later...
Guest SPS 700

Hi,

After much experimentation and a third set of both I have personally hit upon the combination that sounds best to me. I now have a pair of Large Advents and a pair of KLH Sixes stacked. Either one of them sounds good by themselves but put them toether and they seem to help each others strong points and cancel out each others weak points. I am now running three sets of stacked Large Avdvents & KLH Six's with two Sansui 9090DB's and one 9090. Total out of pocket cash for the three systems(including cost of refoaming the 3 pairs of Advents) is $310.00. Did a lot of horse trading and bargain hunting but it was worth it. Would never buy any of the new junk they call stereo equipment.

Archived