KLH speakers

Guest picasso928

Guest picasso928

hello, i'm new and have a pair of KLH speakers. unfortunately they are the new kind. am i correct in assuming these modern day speaker's are crappy? funny thing, i own a set of Cambridge soundworks as well. these are nice but i think lack that mid-range sound that a 4" or 5" inch produces. any feedback would be great.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest frleand

Your "new" KLH'es needn't be that crappy - just as as good/bad as any other brand in the same price range. As with all other speakers today these are also made in China - which is good as we get much more for the money.

There is a lot of nostalgia in the speaker business. Any "normal" speaker of today sound just as good as the old KLH'es - for example the 6 and 17. I know - I have them both. If there has been a development over the last 50 years it is in the membrane technology. This goes both for tweeters and woofers. By the way, a 3-way system with a midrange unit needn't necessarily sound better than a good 2-way system. More midrange, maybe - but not necessarily better. More midrange is often mistaken for "better".

Best Regds

Fred

Norway

• 3 weeks later...
Guest biancom

I recently bought a pair of little KLH's from Best Buy for $20. They actually sounded ok. The treble was a little hard so I swapped out the polycarbonate tweeters for a pair of TangBand Silks. They sound so much better..smoother and more detailed. The woofers are designed to roll off smoothly to save money on choke coils.

• 1 month later...
Guest Droog

A big part of the interest in vintage KLH is what I wrote in a previous post... 'Kloss and his KLH', all the in-house developement and production. things like making their own paper for speaker cones, who does that today? Also, the speakers were so good compared to the competition in a given price range that the choice was easy. This weekend I ran into a guy who worked at Acoust Research in the 60s who said AR was a bit anoyed for the competion and great sales of KLH products. One other thing, they had amazingly long production runs on many models.....Model six- 14+ years, model 17 & 20- 8 years, even the small single driver model 11 orf 1964 went on to be the extention speaker for the #21 radio then on to the moel 50 system in the early 70s. They got their designs right the first time, which can't be said for many speaker makers today who seem to abandon speakers after 2-3 years. People are amazed when they see my 1958 model six's (serial #'s 684 & 711) which I have playing music 7 hours a day in my business and there 100% original having those early epoxied in drivers and all!

Archived