KLH 32 tweeter question

Guest ziradog

Guest ziradog

I have a pair of 32's that I bought at a thrift shop. One tweeter sounds noticably weaker than the other. Does anyone know what other models use the same tweeter as the model 32? Anything else that might make one tweeter produce less sound than the other?

Guest ziradog

Okay, how do I do that (other than swapping the 2 crossovers)? Or should I just replace the caps in both on spec? I know that this is not expensive, but I imagine it is quite a job to get them out & then put everything back.

• 2 weeks later...

I do think that a capacitor beginning to fail "open" is the most likely problem. Total failure open would give you no sound. Partial or total failure "closed" would give you too much lows into the tweeter, and a blown driver.

The Models Thirty One and Thirty Eight are likely to have the same tweeter, according to a listing by a speaker builder on another forum, and these are different than the tweeter in the other more expensive models.

It is possible that the capacitors are connected with wire nuts, and I have read one owner of a pair of Seventeens claiming that this was the case in his pair.

The Model Seventeen (10 inch woofer) is selling almost constantly on e-Bay for $20-$35. It has the superior Kloss tweeter. You will pay more for shipping than you do for the speakers. See my post on this forum about sealing the cloth surround on the KLH woofers. Maybe you would like to get a pair of these.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived