KLH 32 Woofer Replacement

Guest TheTooleMan

Guest TheTooleMan

My first post on this forum. Glad to have found it!

My KLH 32's have bad woofers. One has a bit of a rattle but the other has passed that stage and just gives bursts of growling sounds on bass notes. This pair of speakers was bought new by me in 1971 and has served well up until sometime last week, when I connected a new (to me) Yamaha CR-640 receiver to them. I'm not sure what about that brought this on, or if it truly did, but here I am.

What would I replace these woofers with? The replacement speakers of today have a ton of information that did not exist back in the day of the 32's, at least as far as I know. How do I go about picking the right woofers without an arduous search through every stereo store and junk shop within 300 miles?

All help and advice will be appreciated!

The Toole Man

shauntoole@yahoo.com

Guest Droog

I'm almost positive the woofers in the model 32 are the same as the one's in the model 22, 24, 26 and several other KLH

models in the 1968-1974 era. These are common models and very well made (all used one''s I've found work as good as new.) Pairs of complete speakers sell for $20.-$50., sometimes less! It's nice to keep a KLH as original as possible. look on ebay in yor area for a pair. People also sell just the woofers and list what model speaker they came out of.

Guest TheTooleMan

> It's nice to keep a KLH as original as

>possible. look on ebay in yor area for a pair. People also

>sell just the woofers and list what model speaker they came

>out of.

I'll keep an eye out for them but so far I haven't seen anything other than a pair for a model 6 that were too big. Meanwhile, Peerless 831510 seems to be a good match, and not too expensive, so I may go with them just to get these back up and running again. Any experience with these?

The Toole Man

shauntoole@yahoo.com

Archived