KLH Spreadsheet

Guest molecules

Guest molecules

Does anybody know more about the model 38 ? I see a pair of model 38's at http://www.oldhifi.com/gearpage.html. The grill cloth has a nice look with vertical stripes. They are 2-way with a 10" woofer. There is a photo also.

Can anybody comment on how they sounded ?

I used to own a great pair of KLH that had the same appearance, but these look larger than I remember. Does anyone know if there are any other models with the same look ?

Dave

I believe the # 38 were made in the 1972-75 era, a good speaker much like the model 17 and 20.

They had smaller woofer magnets and the cabinets were smaller then the fantastic model 6, so bass response

was not as low. I think the 38's are a nice speaker , Neat striped grill... one of the last of the classic KLH speakers !

Guest molecules

Tthey look so appealing, maybe I'll get them, just to hear again what they sounded like, and they always were beautiful. With shipping I think they will cost more than their original price !

I sold a pair '75 or '76 to buy Large Advents (which I still use !) Refoamed nonetheless, (wouldn't have had to refoam the KLH's!).

This forum brings back great times. The classic dorms rooms system were Pioneer receivers, or Marantz', and smallish KLH speakers. Mine were powered by a little 15 WPC Sansui integrated, and was about the quietest system around (but sounded great).

You may be able to find a pair on ebay and they would most likely be less money, maybe $40-$75, but I don't rcall seeing

the model 38 (may be scarce compared to model 17 & 20 which you see up fo auction all the time). I notice they have a

pair of model 6's for $395, I think that is over priced, I've seen them go for $75 to $150 a pair on ebay.....

Anything KLH that is pre 1975 is a good product, but boy did the go down hill fast after that....a friend gave me a pair

of model 56 speakers from about 1978, same basic speaker as the 17, 20 & 38 but a lighter cheaper cabinet covered in

vinyl...didn't even sound that good, KLH just didn't care any more, Henry Kloss was long gone, having moved on to build

Advent speakers.

Guest rickcee

Hi yep. If the mod 38 are what I'm thinking - maybe 22 x 12 cabinet, real walnut finish, dark grill , my sister has some, bought new with small KLH reciever in mid '70' - took them apart once, speakers look exactly like the ones in my KLH 17. ?

Guest molecules

Do they still sound good ?

>Hi yep. If the mod 38 are what I'm thinking - maybe 22 x

>12 cabinet, real walnut finish, dark grill , my sister has

>some, bought new with small KLH reciever in mid '70' - took

>them apart once, speakers look exactly like the ones in my KLH

>17. ?

• 1 year later...
Guest paulj

I have a pair of model 38's that I bought new when I was in high school. I don't remember the year exactly, but it would have been about 1973 or so, maybe as late as 1974. I haven't used them for a long time. I bought a pair of the Advent 2's in 1977, and more recently inherited some Large Advents, vintage 1973, from my brother. I use these now in my brand new Rotel power/preamp and Denon CD player.

The KLH 38's are nice speakers, but are not as bright sounding as either of the Advents. Cabinets are walnut veneer, with the vertical stripe grilles, a very pretty little speaker. One nice thing I also saw mentioned is that the KLH 38's don't have foam surrounds, it looks like a fabric material, so they don't rot like foam. Both of my Advent sets have been refoamed.

I want to hook up the old KLH's and see how they sound in comparison. I will also post some pictures sometime. May take me awhile, as I am very busy, but I would like to share information on these very beautiful old speakers.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest robee

Hi KLH people. New member here. I joined the forum as I have just acquired some KLH-1's. I missed these in the late 70's and early 80's when KLH still meant something. Heard them in a Stereo store and was really excited but circumstances and travel prevented acquiring a pair. Now to the present: I bought these on E-Bay several weeks ago. They are brand new (use wise) were still in the original heat sealed bags and shipping cartons. I only paid $200 for them which has to be the best bargain that ever came along. No one else bid which I couldnt believe. History: Seller acquired them in an estate clearance. I have the original bill of sale from a Hi Fi store in Mass. dated Feb, 1980. Boxes contained the Speakers with cabinets in walnut veneer, the Computer and the stands. All are in perfect condition with the exception of the acoustical foam on the cabinet face and around the tweeter and mid. This I replaced with the closest substitute I could find. Also took out the mids and they had a foam strip around the basket cage which had also deteriated and this I replaced. I have been playing them almost non-stop for the last 10 days and as they break in they are becoming extremly smooth,dynamic, and with a tight bass to kill for. I cant wait to get about 50 hours on these !!. I was concerned about the computer after 25 years of sitting but it works perfectly. Also the manual is in perfect condition. I have owned some good speakers in my life and still do but I think I am going to be in HI Fi heaven with these !!. I would enjoy engaging in conversation or questioning about these KLH 1's and hopefully will hear from some of you. Good listening to all. robee

Archived