just got KLH model 17, did i get a

Hello, first time posting here, but not in a audio message board (i am on Audioreview.com all the time)

Hello, today i was just hanging out, and my mother had to go out and do a few things, she said she had to drop off clothes at the salvation army, i asked if they had old stero equipment and stuff, she said sometimes, do you want to go? so i went (also did a few other things around town)

well, i found a pair of KLH model seventeen speakers, cabinates pretty messed up (chiped on the edges, water marks on top) but i know how good/value of vintage KLH's (model six and nine) so i asked the guy how much he wanted for them, he said $30 for the pair, i couldn't resist, i bought them, got them home, tried them, (well, still am) with Pink Floyd, and WOW the sound is amazing, the bass is really good, tweeters are not harsh

anyone have any specs on these?

did i get a bargin for $30/pair? only one cabinate is bad, but i put about 8 coats of wood restorer on them, and they look alot better (wood was very dry, soked it right up)

i don't think these were the origanl 2 that came together, as the fabric mesh grilles are alittle differnt and on the back where the speaker post are, they are differnt (one says KLH with words going through it, one dosn't) but they sound really good, ANY specs? sensitivity, freguency range? its true that they cross over at 1,500hz? should i sand them, and re-finsih them or leave them origanal (i think i should leave them) anything else i should know, let me know, also the model six's were better then the seventeens right? were the 17's condsiderd high-end? were they good speakers, and other stuff like that?

• 7 months later...

Response: 40Hz to 15,000Hz

Minimum Power: 10 watts

Maximum Power: 100 watts (peak)

Impedence: 8Ohms

Crossover: 1500 Hz

Tweeter: 1 x 1.75" direct radiator with dome

Woofer: 1 x 10" Acoustic Suspension

Cone material: Blend of wood pulp, cotton, and asphalt

Weight: 24 lb.

Size: 23" x 11.75" x 9"

Price: $74.95 (1970)

Source: The KLH Model Seventeen (marketing brochure, June 1973)

• 2 years later...
Guest dbradley

I own two pairs of 17's, purchased new in the 1960's when I was entering college. They have been moved around many times in almost 40 years and they have never needed any repairs, ever. A lot of institutions, like libraries and colleges, bought them for listening rooms. The brochure I still have on them says that the sonics on them are unchanged, that "a new one will match one that was purchased eight years ago or ten years from now". The 17's I have did not appear to have a "finish", i.e. polyurethane or varnish, like some other KLH models did. You could consult with a furniture refinisher or you could experiment on the bottom with 0000 sand paper or steel wool, restaining and/or putting on a Formby tung oil, but I sure wouldn't use a poly or varnish.

They occupied the middle of KLH's line, not as good as the 6's, a two-way instead of a three-way, affordable. But to my ears, they are a standout quality reproducer of sound, much better than their list price as it sounds like you are discovering. You got a fabulous deal. Congratulations and I hope you enjoy them.

It's amazing how great speakers like the 17 kept KLH a top speaker seller for so many years, many companies only made a given model for 2-3 years. The 17 was introduced in 1965, made until 1973 or later. The model 6 was on the market from 1958-72. Many of their systems like the model 20 radio/phono system were available for 5-6 years....I just found one of these in mint condition, $22. They had a speaker very much like the 17 though they had a shorter voice-coil winding to reduce the impedance to 4 ohms to take more power from the 20's amplifier. My digital audio friends are amazed at the sound quality of this system.

Kloss had left KLH in 1967, therefore few innovative products were introduced in the late 60s to the early 70s. The speakers and receivers that replaced the models mentioned above meant doom for KLH, one model even had a reputation for catching on fire!

The model 17 is an example of what was right about KLH.

Hey Steve...keep your eyes open for KLH at yards sales in Wilton....I grew up there in the 60s and 70s and remember many folks were buying KLH back then.

>They occupied the middle of KLH's line, not as good as the

>6's, a two-way instead of a three-way, affordable. But to my

>ears, they are a standout quality reproducer of sound, much

>better than their list price as it sounds like you are

>discovering. You got a fabulous deal. Congratulations and I

>hope you enjoy them.

The model 6 was a two way speaker which KLH specified has having a 12" woofer as opposed to the model 17's 10" woofer. They used the same tweeter. The model 6 had bass response which went deeper. At the time, that was an advantage, the tradeoff being that the model 6 woofer's output at the high end was not quite as good as the 17's. Many people say there is a dip in response near the crossover transition of the 6 but I've never heard it. In today's world with readily available subwoofers, the 17 might actually be the better choice with possibly smoother midrange response. The model 5 was a concession to the model 6's shortcomings in this regard adding a pair of high quality 5" drivers used as full range in their table radios and small all in one systems to handle the midrange in the model 5. Model 17 remains a remarkable value and its longevity as a reliable stable product which did not deteriorate over the years has made it a kind of cult speaker among some vintage collectors. Most people who see them have no idea what they are about. The tweeter level switch doesn't deteriorate the way potentiomenters did in other manufacturer's products and the cloth surrounds don't deteriorate the way foam did. At worst you have to apply a resealing coat of synthetic ruberized product to reseal the surrounds. This is cheap and easy to do. The grillcloths are also removable. This was IMO one of the most outstanding values in high fidelity products.

• 8 months later...
Guest dbradley

Sorry. I did not mean to imply the Model six was a three way. The Model six had a much deeper bass response, and, as I recall, had a much higher list price than the 17's. Same with KLH's three-ways. But the 17's are great speakers. There are some who feel a two-way is a better sounding speaker because of the cross-over issues presented by a three way. The 17's have no "hole in the center" to my ear and a bright sound even with the original tweeters. Listed for $75 in 1968 as I recall. A great deal then and you got a fabulous deal.

• 3 weeks later...

>>They occupied the middle of KLH's line, not as good as

>the

>>6's, a two-way instead of a three-way, affordable. But to

>my

>>ears, they are a standout quality reproducer of sound,

>much

>>better than their list price as it sounds like you are

>>discovering. You got a fabulous deal. Congratulations and

>I

>>hope you enjoy them.

>

>The model 6 was a two way speaker which KLH specified has

>having a 12" woofer as opposed to the model 17's 10"

>woofer. They used the same tweeter. The model 6 had bass

>response which went deeper. At the time, that was an

>advantage, the tradeoff being that the model 6 woofer's

>output at the high end was not quite as good as the 17's.

>Many people say there is a dip in response near the crossover

>transition of the 6 but I've never heard it. In today's world

>with readily available subwoofers, the 17 might actually be

>the better choice with possibly smoother midrange response.

>The model 5 was a concession to the model 6's shortcomings in

>this regard adding a pair of high quality 5" drivers used

>as full range in their table radios and small all in one

>systems to handle the midrange in the model 5. Model 17

>remains a remarkable value and its longevity as a reliable

>stable product which did not deteriorate over the years has

>made it a kind of cult speaker among some vintage collectors.

>Most people who see them have no idea what they are about.

>The tweeter level switch doesn't deteriorate the way

>potentiomenters did in other manufacturer's products and the

>cloth surrounds don't deteriorate the way foam did. At worst

>you have to apply a resealing coat of synthetic ruberized

>product to reseal the surrounds. This is cheap and easy to

>do. The grillcloths are also removable. This was IMO one of

>the most outstanding values in high fidelity products.

>

Gee, Soundminded, you make me feel so good. I still have my Seventeen pair, and the leaky woofer surrounds have been resealed. The original capacitors are yellow covered polystyrene type and still within spec.

Cabinets are near mint. They were purchesed in 1975 new and must be a late production pair, but I don't know how long they were in warehouses or the store after being made. I didn't know they were so highly regarded by the vintage mavens, just that they still amaze me whenever I use them, given they were designed in about 1964.

The crossover is VERY simple, and no inductor is used. Your point about upper bass and lower midrange performance in comparison to the 12 inch wofered Six is well taken.

Archived