Unsticking Pulleys and Mechanisms

Guest matty g

Guest matty g

Hi -

Tried to post this earlier, but it disappeared into the ether - so here goes again (sorry if it posts twice).

In an earlier post (#9829) Vern gave some excellent advice regarding the removal of motor pulleys on the AR turntable. His method (correct me if I'm wrong,Vern) was to place two spoons evenly across the bottom of the pulley and apply even pressure on both sides, thereby lifting the pulley up evenly without damaging the delicate motor shaft. This is a good method provided that the pulley isn't "cold welded" to the shaft. This can occur when the aluminum pulley becomes corroded to the steel motor shaft and won't budge no matter what you do.

I ran into this condition earlier today while restoring an old Garrard Zero 100 turntable. The aluminum cycle trip mechanism on the deck became "cold welded" to the steel guide pin on which it rides. I tried the even upward pressure method, soaking it in Liquid Wrench, pretty much every trick in the book but it just wouldn't budge. I almost broke the guide pin off, so I had to come up with another method. Since heat causes metal to expand, I tried heating the outside of the stuck part with a two temperature soldering gun. I alternated between the high and low temps so as not to overheat the part. When the part surface was too hot to touch, I applied even pressure to it's underside...and it walked right off with no effort at all. The guide pin that it was stuck to wasn't even hot to the touch, so if one were to use this method with a stuck motor pulley I'm sure the motor would not be affected by the heat. I wouldn't touch the soldering iron to the belt surface of a pulley, but rather the bottom (if it can be reached) or the top. This would be a last resort method if nothing else works, but it was very effective and took about 5 minutes. This was after monkeying around for about an hour and almost breaking the pin off. Just a thought, might help someone some day.

Matt

Hi Matt;

Absolutely do not use any solvents to loosen them.

I would not attempt using heat as well.

The lower side of the pulley is turned down in diameter and slit to ease installation and removal.

Just a few topics lower is, "AR Turntable 1".

I tried to keep on topic of the AR turntable.

The spoons were not hi-tech, just what was AR factory recommended for us.

The process is so simple, a special tool is not practical, as you will see.

As long as you are evenly raising the pulley, you can't botch it.

Not heat, cold. In fact, I once worked in a plant that manufactured exotic electrical connectors that were an interference fit at normal temperatures but slipped apart easily at cryo temps. I wouldn't go to that extreme but if you can put it in a freezer for a day or so, try that. You can also try bringing it into contact with dry ice which is even colder. But be very careful if you do. Dry ice in contact with skin will cause a burn. When made very cold, the motor shaft and pulley will shrink away from each other and may be separable. Good luck.

Having done a lot of heat/cold application in engine assembly I'd say that putting the entire assembly in the freezer would make it even more difficult to remove a part. Normally, you cool the component that you want to make smaller - a piston pin, for example - so it will slide easily into the piston. To remove, you heat the component that needs to become bigger - in this same example you would heat the piston (which will enlarge the hole) but NOT the pin.

That's my experience anyway. As far as AR pulley(s), It's hard to imagine an AR turntable pulley that couldn't be removed by the "spoon" method. I've had a couple of AR TTs and the pulleys came off with finger pressure - no tools at all.

Guest matty g

Hi Vern -

No, absolutely NO solvents on a motor shaft - this would most likely mean the end of the motor. The particular part I was having difficulty with was not connected to any electrical device on the other end, rather a guide pin on a steel deck under the platter.

I've never had an AR pulley stuck to the point of even having to use tools to remove it either, as Mike commented, usually just slight upward pressure by hand does it. I mentioned this method only as a last resort if there is a part that will not move, like the part I was having trouble with. I've never heard of freezing parts to loosen them up, but I don't like the idea of putting the TT in the freezer. The heating method worked beautifully and was very non-aggressive.

Matt

Hi there;

You would think I was answering about brain surgery, not removing an AR turntable pulley.

Finger pull should work, BUT, if Arnold Swarzenegger did it, he might bend the motor shaft slightly or even break it off.

Use the spoons for even pressure, that is all.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived