Got the AR-2axs I posted earlier about....

Guest filedog

I was feeling lucky, so I swung by the repair shop, and offered $30, (asking price was $50) and got 'em. Pretty nice cabinets, pots are CLEAN, so must be 'glass stuffing. No grills or badges, missing one mid, and one tweet has had the wires pulled out. I pulled all the drivers, bagged the stuffing (2 bags) for later, and gave the cabs a quick cleanup. Looks like the grills were GLUED on....traces of masonite in glue ribbons and dots on the face, can only see one or two holes from staples...is that normal?

The remaining mid and tweet LOOK okay, and one woofer too. The woofers have two wires that poke out of the cone, and are attached to the cone itself. The coils are covered by a small cap, but there is a foam ring on the cone that I suppose was used to attach a larger (cosmetic) cap? BTW, they are the cast type, 6 bolt units w/ round magnets. On one woofer one of those wires has come loose, ie, it is poking thru the cone, but un-attached. Can I glue this back? Otherwise they look pretty good, I may put some caps back on to cover the foam rings.

I realized the wire which was poking thru the cone is the "external" side of the positive line to the voice coil. It had separated from the fine wire which is glued to the back of the cone, which connects to the voice coil. I was able to CAREFULLY (man that's an understatement- talk about fiddly) remove an inch of wire from the back of the cone, clean it, make a loop, and solder in a short piece of new wire to connect it to the braided piece. I was impressed, that's the toughest thing I've accomplished so far : ) Now I just have to glue the piece that projects thru the cone back into the hole, I'm thinking epoxy, sound good?

I did some more work on the cabs too, removed the glue from the front panels, and patched/ sanded those spots. I'm gonna paint the faces flat black to cover those patches. The walnut looks good, couple dings patched w/ wood dough, I will stain or paint them to match the walnut. I may have a source for the mid and tweet, so things are looking up!

Hi Filedog

I would not use epoxy glue; it has to be flexible when dried not to "brake up" the cone during "work". I have had several instances of loose wires on the inside of woofer cones, and I've used the type of glue that comes with the foam surround replacing kits to fix the wires. It is very easy to work with if you tilt the driver so the cone surface is horizontal around the wires.

Good luck with the work!

BRgds

Klaus, thanks. I don't have any of that glue, any other suggestions? It looks like white (elmers) glue, is it? How 'bout some clear silicone caulk? So you were able to repair a similar problem, that's great!

Archived