Is this AR-2ax Woofer ?

Guest speedracer

Guest speedracer

Hi guys, think I fried a voice coil, but looking and reading about the 2 types (?) of drivers, I'm not sure if this one of them, it has 6 holes, 11 in. frame, side to side, no masonite ring, anybody help ??Thanks, Martin

post-102587-1189387935.jpg

post-3-1189387935.jpg

>Hi guys, think I fried a voice coil, but looking and reading

>about the 2 types (?) of drivers, I'm not sure if this one of

>them, it has 6 holes, 11 in. frame, side to side, no masonite

>ring, anybody help ??Thanks, Martin

What you have is an AR-2ax 6-bolt, stamp-basket woofer with someone else's woofer cone and voice coil. This unit has been re-coned, so there is no way of knowing what kind of assembly it has as far as the voice coil and so forth. The AR-2ax 6-bolt, stamped-basket version was an intermediate driver that replaced the original Alnico-magnet six-bolt cast-aluminum woofer, and this occurred around 1970. Some of these woofers came with a masonite adapter ring; others came with a new basket with 6 bolts. Later, that same woofer was made in a four-bolt frame with a true 10-inch frame diameter rather than the 11-inch frame of the early woofer.

You will probably have to search for another 6-bolt woofer (you could use the earlier AR-2/AR-2a/AR-2ax Alnico woofer (mentioned above), or you could use a 4-bolt version and make an adapter ring from masonite to make it fit your cabinet.

--Tom Tyson

>I have 2 of the older versions (solid frame / round magnets)

>but thought this newer version was / would be better (?) can

>it not be repaired ?

The newer, stamped-steel-frame version is a somewhat better woofer, especially in the upper-bass region, but it is not particularly better in the deep bass. To repair your old woofer, if the voice coil has been damaged, requires a new voice-coil/cone assembly, and that is not an easy repair. In any event, you can't get original AR parts of this sort, so your best bet would be to find another similar AR-2ax replacement unit off eBay or somewhere that you can use with your speaker. Even if it is a four-bolt woofer, you can adapt it with a masonite ring. I believe that the original-style AR Alnico woofers you now have would also do fine, and I would use those unless you can find another original AR version similar to your failed unit.

--Tom Tyson

Archived